Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Last day in Chicago

Last night was a whirlwind of packing and running around Chicago before even getting to my packing.  My band played our last gig on Sat (12/28) at a cool little bar in Lincoln Park called Lilly's and it was amazing - one of the best musical experiences of my life. Collaboration with other musicians, fun, intense, and beautiful. Everything I love about music. Then on Sunday I moved all my equipment out of my studio and brought it to Linda Bohnen's house in Downers Grove. Linda is my mom's best friend and she has been a big part of my family since moving back to Chicago three years ago. Unfortunately I left the new harmonica my mom got me in my drum bag so I had to drive back out to get it on Monday, which ate up much of my day. Luckily a friend was in town from Houston who I hadn't seen in a while so we got to hang out because she was in the burbs. Oh - and Tommy Madden has been a saint to me in this past month. Tommy is the older brother of my closest high school friend, Jim Madden, and he's mastered the art of minimalistic artistic living. A true gem - Tom helped me drive around and get packed on Monday ahead of my 5:30am departure time on Tuesday. Anyway, I got the harmonica and hit up REI for the necessities (thanks Stephanie:), and then headed back to get going on packing. Slowly got all things lined up and then realized I didn't receive my daypack backpack which was crucial to my trip (it holds my camera and laptop and is easy to walk around with when I leave my big backpack at home. So Tom drove me to the UPS shipping location just south of Chicago where I quickly learned form a roomful of people that the UPS "system was down". No - I have no clue how that happens, but I do know I got there at 8:30pm and left at almost 11pm…WITH my package. They tried to tell me it was lost but I told them it was a must-have and they pulled together for me. Incidentally I was the last one waiting for his package along with a girl who needed a dress for her NYE party. Classic. Anyway - got the package and had Tom and my great friend Maggie waiting for me when I got out! Win. Got home and packed and cleaned the apt up until hitting the airport at 3am. Most importantly, after being laid off on Nov 1, I was able to find a guy who moved into my apt and is using all my furniture, and I was able to find an amazing home for my cat Bocce…all within days of leaving. Unbelievable luck, but things come together when you're on the right path.

Here's a pic of everything I'm taking :)

No comments:

Post a Comment