Thursday, March 13, 2014

A Perfect Last Day in Floripa

Woke up and the guys gave Aviv a birthday cake, which we ate and celebrated on the rooftop. Unfortunately Aviv thought the guys forgot about his b-day because at midnight the night before they didn't say anything, but eventually all was cleared up and me, Aviv, and Ran decided to go do some boogie boarding down at the little beach in front of the hostel. The weather was really not good - overcast and chillier - but we wanted to get in the water so we walked down and as we passed this little restaurant before the beach we heard everyone in the windows yelling at us and pointing out in the water. Huh? I don't understand anything you're saying, Brazilian people. So we keep walking and as we get down to the beach I look out over the water and I start seeing huge fish jumping out in the bay. Wait? Those aren't huge fish. Those are DOLPHINS!! There were at least 50-100 dolphins swimming into our little bay, and it was one of the more beautiful things I've ever witnessed. They just kept coming - droves of them. Then we saw them circle up when they got into one area and then they kept doing circles and every once in a while you would see a dolphin jump high out of the water. We figured out that the dolphins had encircled a school of fish and were taking turns darting through the school and eating. So amazing. We stayed there for about 30-45 minutes, when we saw the dolphins start to head back out to sea, and then we brought the boogie boards back to the hostel and decided to do some kayaking. We walk into town and rent two kayaks - one for one person and the other for two people. Ran and Aviv in one, and me in the other. Off we go - I get in and the kayak is not that easy to balance. Ha. I feel like I'm about to fall into the water at any moment, in front of all the fishermen in town, but I get my balance and start getting used to it. Then in comes the other two and we head directly out of this little canal and into the ocean. Not the best idea, but fun nonetheless. We paddle out to the natural pools that we've swum at before, and it takes us about 30 minutes to get there. Some very big waves, but we made it safe. As we are pulling up to the pool Ran and Aviv flip over - complete comedy. Love these guys. They pull their kayak up to the rocks and I do the same and then I take one last jump off the 20-25 foot rock. Feels amazing, but a littler scarier when you are up there by yourself. Same adrenaline though - so amazing. We swim for a few minutes in the pool and then onto the kayak's and back into town. I keep going up the canal while the other two get out and head back to the hostel. The ride up the canal is very peaceful, and I wish I had pics, but of course I don't. I ride for another half hour and then head back to the hostel, where I take a nap in the hammock and just relax. Such a great day. I head upstairs to the roof to hang with the three Israeli guys and we have a last smoke before I leave on my 9pm bus. As we are coming back down into the kitchen I decide - screw this - I'm having a good time here so let's keep it going. I stay for dinner, which Shahaf makes and is amazing - pics below. Then we hang and eat and then play card games until late in the night. I wake up around 6am to get the bus into the downtown area of Florianopolis, and as I'm waiting one of the guys who runs the hostel comes walking up and directs me to a better bus which is cheaper and faster. Fantastic. I jump on that and then I'm on my bus to Sao Paulo (SP) by 8:45am on Wednesday….

Florianopolis (Floripa) was definitely the highlight of my trip. It was the most relaxing and peaceful place and I had the best company in my Israeli brothers. Such good people. Such beauty in nature. And such an amazing hostel to stay during my time here. This is one of those places that I wish all of my friends and family could visit. It really is special. I know I'll be back, but until then thank you so much to Alessandro and Allan, who worked the hostel, and to my Israeli brothers Aviv, Ran, and Shahaf - for making my time there unforgettable. I will see each of you again - count on it.

Below I've uploaded all the pics I took from my camera and GoPro while in Floripa. The first pics are from the last night, but all the others are from other days there. Enjoy! 




View from the top of the hostel

Shahaf the amazing chef

Card games our last night

Double Gunner

View from the main floor of hostel

Great art from a Buenos Aires artist - and of course a dart board

walking out the main door of the hostel

Does not get better than this view




My three Israeli brothers 

Aviv dropped their GoPro in the water and spent about an hour looking. He was not giving up...

Amazing swimming hole near the hostel


Back flip heaven


This young Brazilian was jumping off everything so we did a backflip together

Tandem backflip!







BBQ night


View of the best hostel I stayed in my entire trip


Walk down to the beach from the hostel


The walk into town from the hostel





Such a beautiful fishing town - Barra da Lagoa

































An amazing crew

The fisherman brought in a huge haul of fish, which was definitely the reason the dolphins were in town


Old school - gutting it right there on a stone slab


No comments:

Post a Comment