Thursday, November 6, 2014

City of Angels

My mom and I drove down to LA in the morning on Saturday, after I had a week and a half in SF. I definitely wish I had more time in the Bay, but it was definitely time well spent. The drive down was pretty uneventful, but it was just nice to have this time to talk with my mom, and she even drove for some of the trip. First we stopped off in a town just north of LA to visit with my niece, Janina (Nina). She's 19 now, which is hard to believe, but she's excited about being in the LA area and we had a nice sushi dinner. My sister Rictavia (Rickey) joined us as well, so it was great to be around family. After dinner my mom and I went to my aunt Susan's home in Santa Monica. My mom has three sisters, and Susan is the oldest. She's very smart, active, driven, and interesting. She married a man named Robert, and at the time they married (25 years ago) they both already had three children. Almost like the Brady Bunch - ha. Anyway, we hung with Robert and Susan before hitting the hay, and then the next day we were up and heading over to Susan's son Bradley's house in Palos Verdes. He has a beautiful home overlooking LA, so it was nice to hang at his pool for the afternoon and just relax with my family. On Monday I went to the LACMA museum with my mom and aunt Susan. Such a cool museum, and it was fun to walk around with my aunt because she knows a ton about the art. In the evening Rickey joined us for a great dinner at my aunt's home, and we ended a great day with fun conversation and great food. Tuesday I had to drop my mom at the airport in the morning, which is never easy for me. I had such a special time with mom, as we always do, but leaving her is one of the hardest things for me. She's just such a positive person to be around, and she is always making me laugh.

After my mom left I spent more time with Rickey, which was really nice. We hung at her beautiful apartment and then met my friend Adam at a company party he was hosting. I met Adam in SF in the beginning of my time there, and he then moved back to LA (where he's from) and got into the film industry. Currently he's the head of production at Vertigo Entertainment, which produced the Lego Movie (among others). It was great seeing him in his environment, and kinda fun to be at a hollywood-style party in LA...definitely a bit cliche, but what the hell. Not much else to report on my time in LA other than a nice hike in Griffith Park, which is always so beautiful to see.

LA was a great time for me to relax and just be with my family. I cherish the time I get with each of my family members, so it was a great recharge of my battery to be around my sister, mom, niece, aunt and uncle, and cousins during my visit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment