Monday, November 17, 2014

Des Moines Damon Datoson

The drive from Denver to Chicago is 14 hours, which I actually considered doing in one trip, but then I remembered that I have a friend in Des Moines, Iowa, which is only 9 hours distance from Denver. Damon Dotson is from Okoboji, Iowa, where I started out my road trip four months ago. I've met him a number of times over the years, but we have just recently become closer. He's a phenomenal musician and he's done very well playing all over the US. I texted Damon the day before I left Denver and asked if it would be possible for me to stay at his house for a few hours on my journey back to Chicago. Of course he said he would love to have me stay, so I set my GPS for Des Moines and after 9 hours I showed up at Star Bar - the scene of Damon's gig that night. Absolutely fantastic seeing Damon! He's a great showman, and he had this entire bar singing and dancing around him and his guitar. We had a few drinks after the show and then headed back to he and his girlfriend's home. His lady's name is Ali, and she is also fantastic and full of positive energy. I love being around them - so uplifting. We had a fun night talking about travels, music, and life...and we didn't fall asleep until after 4am. I then got up around 8am and was back on the road around 9:30am, finally en route to Chicago....

Amazing song which always inspired me on the road
Damon Dotson after his show in Des Moines

No comments:

Post a Comment