Thursday, October 2, 2014

Going-To-The-Sun Road

After the most adorable hugs from Annie and Mazey I head out of Missoula and make my way to Glacier National Park. A quick drive through downtown Missoula proves that it's a picturesque town - definitely worth coming back. I drive a few hours up to Glacier, and stop just before getting into the park to grab a quick lunch at a down-home place called Glacier Grill and Pizza. Classic. Friendly. Great pizza. After eating I head into the park from the south-west entrance, which guides you into the park on a road called Going-To-The-Sun Road. I get to the park entrance and ask the park ranger the best way to get to Many Glacier Campground, which is where I was told to go by the professional photographers I met in Rocky Mountain National Park. The ranger said that I could usually get there via Going-To-The-Sun Road, but the pass between here and the campground was closed for the year, so I would have to go back and around the park (about two hours). Hm. I then asked the ranger how far I could get on Going-To-The-Sun Road, and she said I would see most of the beautiful parts, but then I'd have to turn around and come back. She also said that it's supposed to snow tomorrow, so this road might be completely closed, so it's best to see it while I can. Note taken. I thanked her and drove into the park and on one of the most beautiful drives of my life. You start out in the trees and then drive along a huge lake called Lake McDonald. Plenty of places to stop and appreciate the views. Tourists here and there, but not even close to as many as in Yellowstone (thankfully!). After the lake the road continues along a river and then you start climbing up into the mountains. Wow. The road gets very narrow and you can see a huge cliff off to the right side. Breathtaking. Inspiring. Peaceful. I stop a few times to take pictures (below) and am in such a great place. Finally I get to the top of the mountains, where the road is closed, and take a few pics before heading back down. The reverse route was just as beautiful, and it was nice to see the opposite views. I stop some more and just enjoy my ride. Eventually I get down to the bottom and drive another two hours around the park to my campground for the night. The park ranger failed to tell me how beautiful these two hours of road would be, so I'm completely awestruck again on this drive. Horses grazing. Cattle walking along the road (literally right next to my window). Ranchers. Photographers. Lakes. Mountains. The peaks of the mountains are snow covered, but here below it is still green and beautiful. I finally come to the east entrance to the park and as I'm passing the park ranger station I see that it's abandoned. Apparently September 30 marks the end of the regular season, so there aren't rangers at the check-in station anymore. I drive another 25 minutes past the station, along a beautiful reservoir, and come to the Many Glacier Campground. Again, there's no ranger to be seen. The national park service calls this time of year  "primitive" camping season, because there aren't any rangers, running water, or working bathrooms in the campsites. It feels a bit eerie, to be honest with you. There are huge storm clouds coming in from the west, and although it still looks beautiful and sunny to the east, the gloom is ominous. I pick the best campsite I could find - right next to a river - and then park my car and setup my bed for the night. There are a ton of warning signs at the campsite about bear activity, so there's no way I was about to camp in my tent. I take my bike out of the car and lock it to the picnic table before setting up my bed inside the car. Perfection. I eat some leftover pizza and then put all my food, drinks, deodorant, candy, and anything else with a "scent" in a storage locker next to an adjacent campsite. 

I fall asleep feeling comfortable, warm, happy, and content after a full day of driving and seeing true American beautiful…

On the drive from Missoula to Glacier National Park 

Beginning of my drive on the Going-To-The-Sun Road















On my drive around the park and towards my campground

My buddy Babb in SF loved this...


River just behind my campsite

Storms rolling in last night

No comments:

Post a Comment