Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Tiered Tears (poem)

I wrote this in Jackson, Wyoming, but didn't know if I wanted to put it up here. I was looking up at the Teton Mountains and I saw different tiers of snowcaps, which inspired these words. It was obviously hard for me not to think about the Native Americans while in such beauty...

Tiered Tears
9.27.14

Tiered tears of years past and gone
Snow caps capping a generation’s dreams
So vast and generous the lands
Yet so fast and venomous they stole

And they are we and we are here now

Plowing under crops long used by tribes
Subscribe to the new message and move along
Or fall asunder thunder claps the reservation
Caught in a timeless web of useless lands

And the lands belong to no one

Many take the blame as we forge ahead
Flying and searching and creating anew
Eschewed peace on lands we call home
Flown atone tones loaned alone


And no one is ever forgiven

No comments:

Post a Comment