Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Windy Point

I drove from Walla Walla, Washington and started making my way west towards Yakima, which is another city that my friends from Seattle told me to check out. Unfortunately the campsite I saw wasn't very inviting or rustic, so I continued on my way. It was getting dark now so I wanted to find a place quickly, so I searched for some campsites on the way between Yakima and Seattle, and found one named Windy Point Campground. I pulled up in the darkness and as I circled the campground I saw two other campers - both looked nice and they had a big fire going. I moved past them and found an open campsite on the river and setup my bed for the night. It was dark but the moon was very bright, so I could see much of the site. The Naches River was flowing very fast and loud, which made the spot even more peaceful. I cleaned up and got into my car and tried out the VHS player, which actually worked! Ha. Classic. I watched some of the movie Shag and thought of my sisters who love it. Funny times. I passed out relatively early. 

Woke up around 6am in the vague darkness of the dawn. I got in the car and backtracked a few miles in order to get on the 410, which is a highway that drives right past Mt Rainier, which is the highest peak near Seattle (14K feet). The sun is coming up as I'm driving over the pass, which is breathtaking. I stop the car a number of times to take pictures, and I stop a few times just to enjoy the views. Peaceful. A perfect way to start my Saturday. I'm feeling alive. I continue driving until I come into Seattle, and I immediately remember how much I love this city. There are two mountain ranges on either side of the city - the Cascades and the Olympics. Both massive and beautiful. I had been speaking to my friend Chris, who I knew from my SF days, because he lives in Seattle with his wife and two boys. Chris is a great guy - very positive, smart, crazy, and family oriented. We had a bunch of fun in our SF days, and since then he has been working for Microsoft up in Seattle - traveling all over the world as well (for work though). I get to Chris and his wife Jill's house around 10am and his oldest boy Mateo is all about football and futbol. We eventually go outside and play soccer - me and Mateo vs Chris. Of course we won! Mateo was such a character. He will undoubtedly be a smart boy and a good soccer player. We hang for a bit in the house after our epic soccer match and watch some football, and then I'm on my way.

I drive through the city and get on the ferry boat to Bainbridge Island, where my friend Seth lives with his wife Alissa and their kids Ketch and Penti. Seth and I met my freshman year of college because we both played football - which we also both quit before senior year. Along with my friends Owen and Bernie (Vern), Seth is my closest friend from college. I confide in Seth and I trust his insight and feedback on me and my life. I love being around him and his wife, Alissa, because they are truly an example of how I want to be in a marriage. Seth and Alissa have been dating since 8th grade. Unbelievable, right? They were mature about things, and they decided to be more open and free in college, but they always knew they'd end up together. I love them very much. Alissa has become a very close and dear friend of mine over the years as well, and it's great to see her. I take the 20 minute ferry across the Puget Sound and then pull my car off the ferry and pick up Seth, who is waiting for me. We grab lunch at an amazing place in town and then head back to the house to meet Seth's little boy and girl. SO cute. I love them. I have a blast playing with Ketch. While the kids are napping, Seth and I walk nearby to a winery store and do some tasting. Good times. When we come back we pick up Ketch and take him to the park where we play frisbee and let him run around the playground. Such good times. I love being around friends and their kids. After the park we head to the beach and throw rocks into the Sound before heading back to the house to order up some pizza and just relax for the evening. A perfect Saturday...

Seen on my drive on the 410

Laughed at this because I have an inane friend named Stewart Mather 
Mt Rainier


Lunch with my buddy Seth 


Seth with Penti
Seth with Ketch


No, Ketch is not a light 2 year old. In fact, he's enormous for his age! 



No comments:

Post a Comment