Tuesday, October 7, 2014

My Internal GPS

Monday I woke up and took the ferry with Seth while he commuted into work. He needed to take his car into the shop for a fix, so he drove us onto the ferry and then we went up to the top deck to watch the views in our commute. He ran into a few friends he knew, one who was playing guitar, and we had some good laughs about Seattle and my travels. When we drove off the ferry I jumped out of his car and grabbed my golf clubs, which I had put in the trunk. I bid him farewell and then jumped into Vasili's car and off we went to play West Seattle Golf Course. Vasili is a crazy-ass Greek guy who is brother-in-law to another college friend of mine Jim. I met Vasili at Jim's wedding a year-or-so ago, and I immediately liked him. Loud. Fun. Greek. This Saturday Jim, Vasili, and my childhood friend Stewart are meeting in Oregon to play Bandon Dunes, so this round of golf is part of our week-long warmup. Bandon Dunes is one of the best golf courses in the world, so this will undoubtedly be a huge highlight of my US road trip. Vasili invited another friend to play golf, Ethan, and we had a fantastic day. I shot an 88 - not bad. But more importantly, the weather was UNREAL. Almost up to 80 degrees and sunny, which is rare for Seattle at this time of year. So perfect. After the round Vasili and I had some lunch at Matador in Ballard, which is a cool neighborhood in Seattle. Great food. Lots of laughs with my new Greek friend. I then walked over to say hello to another friend, Helen, who was working in Ballard at the time. Good timing! After a quick hello I then picked up Seth's car at the VW dealership and then drove to the ferry to meet him and commute home. Unfortunately there was a TON of traffic getting to the ferry, and of course my phone died while I was trying to meet him. I missed the ferry, and so I had to wait an hour for the next one. No bueno. Also, I didn't have GPS to get back to Seth's house, so I had to remember it from the morning commute. Luckily I have a wicked-good internal GPS, so I figured it out with only one u-turn. Ha! Since I was a kid, I have always been very good at directions. I can go to a place once and almost always know how to get back. It's a lucky thing, but I also think it's just because I am always hyper-aware of my surroundings. Anyway, I get home and Seth and Alissa laugh at how I made it, and then I eat some turkey chili which Alissa made. So good! We watch the Seahawks beat the Redskins, and then I pass out relatively early. An adventurous day, but a great one nonetheless. 

Today is Tuesday and it's my last day here in Seattle. I'm going to get my oil changed and then hang out with Helen, who is visiting her parents here on the island for an hour or so. After that I'll get Seth from the ferry on his ride home, and then we are gonna do some guy-time tonight. Nothing crazy, but it will be good to have some one-on-one time with my dear friend before I carry on. Today is overcast and foggy, which is more typical to Seattle this time of year, so I'm feeling relaxed and comfortable doing some errands. Seattle has been so perfect this time around. I feel really lucky, and am just happy to be in such a great city. 

I hope everyone is having a great week :)


Vasili!!



No comments:

Post a Comment