Monday, February 10, 2014

Day trip - Lujan Argentina - Ranch Time

Today I got up and had the stock-breakfast here at the hostel before gathering some things and going out to the street to wait for Benji to pick me up. Just as a reminder, Benji is the son of Clara, who is friends with Julia (my stepmom). Clara lives in Lujan, which is 42 miles outside Buenos Aires, on a ranch with her husband, Abbott, who unfortunately has Parkinson's disease. Abbott was a very big rancher when he was working, and he was the South American, Spanish, and Moroccan head of the King Ranch, which is one of the biggest ranches in the US (in Texas). Julia has known Abbott and Clara for over 30 years, so this visit was almost like visiting family of my own. So Benji comes to grab me and he couldn't have been nicer. He's 31 and works for a brewing distribution company based out of Chile. Also, Benji is a big polo player and has worked and played at fields in California and in Russia, among other places. We have a great conversation on the way to the ranch, and I'm already feeling great about this day. We get to the ranch and it's absolutely beautiful. The outside of the house is a nice red and there is this amazing outside grill, where Benji tells me that he's gonna make some asado and some other meats for lunch. Wow. Homemade steak and sausages. Can't go wrong. Benji's nephew Marcus shows up from the city as well, and he's classic. Long haired 25 year old who loves to play rugby and the drums. I immediately like him and we have a good and funny conversation about music and the city and his college experiences. So now back to lunch. Clara has prepared a bunch of sides and other goods, and we have wine and an amazing meal. At the end of the lunch Clara brings out homemade boysenberry ice-cream - also amazing. Much of our meal was grown in Clara's garden on the property, which makes it all even better. After lunch we hit the pool and then were planning a siesta, which was interrupted by Benji's oldest sister and her three kids. The kids were adorable and funny and we had a blast just playing in the pool and hanging out (good pics below). After pool-time we have a foosball tournament and then walk around the property, which is mostly used for soybeans, wheat, and corn, however they have about 10-20 horses as well. It's beautiful. Very rustic and just a classic place - I'm in complete heaven. After our walk, Clara's daughter and grandkids, as well as Marcus, leave and we have a small dinner - just Benji, Clara, and myself. After dinner we head back to the city, where I arrive at the hostel around 11pm - completely at peace and in a great state of mind. Benji and Marcus mention that they'd like to hang this week, so I'm fired up about doing the city with some locals. Tonight (Monday) I'm planning to go to Bomba de Tiempo, which is this amazing drum experience every Monday here in  Buenos Aires. Right up my alley. I will take pics and video for sure!

Also, before I forget, it was very difficult to see Abbott while I was at the ranch yesterday. He is very far along in Parkinson's disease, which I have never witnessed in person. His body really doesn't function very well anymore, which I cannot imagine for someone who was very active like Abbott. His family told me that he spoke English very well so he will understand me, and so I spoke to him a lot and thanked him many times for having me out to his ranch. Clara and Benji and the family have lived with his disease for years, so they know how to ease him down when he gets frustrated, but it was hard to see him frustrated and not know what to do to help. Seeing Abbott made me appreciate my health that much more, and I hope everyone makes time to appreciate how lucky you are to be healthy and alive. There is so much for all of us to be happy for in life - there really isn't any time for complaining.


























































1 comment:

  1. What a great way to recharge! I'm glad you had the chance to visit a ranch as beautiful as that. The time you spent with your distant relatives just might be what you really needed to relax and de-stress. I hope you can enjoy more fun trips like that. Thanks for sharing! All the best! :)

    Darren Lanphere @ Mirr Ranch Group

    ReplyDelete