Saturday, February 1, 2014

Lazy Day Sushi

So I ended up eating steak last night at this nice restaurant about two blocks away. A group of about 7 of us from the hostel went over, and it was a great time. Very typical random hostel crowd, with people from Denmark, UK, Canada, France, Jerusalem, and US. Great conversation ranging from middle east conflicts to French etiquette to Argentinian food. I never eat steak, but I tried a steak and a chicken skewer meal, and I have to say the steak was actually good! Shocker I know, but I think I might have turned a corner. So we hung at the dinner for a few hours, and then two of the French guys, including the guy who I've met before, were going out hard and so they left the rest of the group in search of drugs and girls. I happily passed on their offer to join, and so the rest of us headed back to the hostel to grab more money and then walk to some bars. Everyone in this smaller group was very nice and chill, except for the guy from Jerusalem who had just finished his military service and was on his sabbatical. He's very young and one of those guys that are very opinionated and loud and unfortunately very chauvinistic. So we laughed at him for a while as he slowly got more drunk, but then it kinda got annoying and of course he was always sitting next to me chewing my ear off. So this went on for a while and then we decided to head back to the hostel and have some drinks on the rooftop bar to close out the night. We hung there for a while and there were others on the roof, which was nice as well, and then I passed out around 3am.

Woke up around 11:30am and knew I only had till 12:30pm to get my laundry, which I desperately needed, so I went out in the pouring rain and grabbed that, which cost me $2 US. I love the exchange rate, and so I'll happily be getting my laundry done here at least once more before I leave for Mendoza. So I came back and dropped off my laundry, jumped a quick shower, and then headed out to go get some groceries. I've been spending too much money lately, so I want to do some more cooking here in the hostel. So I went to the small grocer near the hostel and unfortunately they didn't have ANYTHING I needed. So I walked out of the grocer and was faced with a sushi restaurant I've been seeing almost every day, and it always looked good. So yes, I decided to get sushi for lunch instead of saving money. It was by far the most expensive meal of my trip, but damn it was really good. They don't have as much variation of fish as in the US, but it was very well prepared and I had a great lunch (pic below of my salmon role). After spending $50 on lunch I decided to actually find a good grocery store, so I went there and bought a bunch of food I can snack on and make meals, so I felt better about my obnoxious lunch. Brought my food-booty back to the hostel and then went up to the roof to research some other museums and art fairs that I would like to see. There's a great weekend handicraft market in Recoleta (my fav neighborhood), and so I was planning to see that, but instead I took a nap and then got up and had some drinks with this Australian couple who couldn't be nicer. They are on a year long journey as well, and it was nice to speak to them about their year ahead. Their names are Hugo and Beth, and they are veterinarians from Australia - great people. They are going to do a drive of the west coast of the US, so I gave them great suggestions for SF and Sonoma, and I'll give them more advice on LA and Seattle before they leave on Monday. We are heading to another steak dinner tonight with some other people, which should be fun as well. Might head out but might not - not sure on the details for the night just yet. Glad to be with good people and enjoying my time, and as always it was not forced and just naturally happened. Such is life.

So that's my deal for today - nice and lazy. I'm going to get after it a bit more tomorrow, and I'll have a fun update for you, but today was nice. The rain was very relaxing and I was happy to lay low. This week is gonna be a busy one, and I've decided to make a day trip to Colonia Uruguay, which should be RAD. I have some others that want to join, so expect a fun update this week for sure.

Have a great Saturday night everyone.

PS - I know the Super Bowl is tomorrow and I actually found a chicken wings place right around the corner from my hostel - classic! http://www.atlantawingfactory.com


No comments:

Post a Comment