Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Historical Art, Local Art, and TANGO!

Tuesday - what can I say? It was a perfectly low key day that worked out perfectly. It's been raining a lot here lately so I woke up and was kinda slow, but I walked out of the hostel and was planning to go to the Eduardo Sivori Museum, which is in the big park here in the city. No umbrella but I had a light raincoat thanks to my boy Swain. About 20 minutes later I get to the museum and it's very small but full of great and interesting pieces. Took a lot of pics below. Funny, a lot of the art reminds me of Nigel Sussman's art - a good friend from SF. I leave the gallery and head back towards the hostel, but I decided to get a little lost on the way and found an amazing art store. It's got everything I need for the piece I'm gonna do for the hostel before I leave on Sunday, so I'm fired up to go back (decided not to buy when I was there). I walk a bit more and get a bit more lost and find some amazing grafitti. Been LOVING the street art here - hope you like the pics. As I'm walking I see this little gallery and go in to check it out - it's called Beatrix Roads Gallery. I start speaking in Spanish to the woman in the studio, but she quickly switches to English because she's form the US and used to live in NYC. I love NYC, so this is a great connection right away. Her name is Veronica, and we talk about art and Buenos Aires, and I tell her about my travels and my artistic goals. She is extremely supportive, which is so nice to hear. She tells me that there is no easy way to get into it, but you have to go for it before kids and family come in the picture. I couldn't agree more :) After a great conversation, Veronica tells me about other good galleries in the neighborhood, so I walk out and check out another one before hitting up my favorite shwarma place for a bite - finally took a pic. This meal costs me about $6, and I've probably had it five times already. Hard to deny. So after the meal I head back to the hostel and there is a new group of people, as is almost always the case every day I'm here. Some french students who are gonna be here for six months, a girl from California, and some Canadians who were here a few weeks back. We all grab some drinks on the roof and then decided to go to this tango bar that has a big night every Tuesday. We leave around midnight to go check it out, and it's still very slow and quiet - very typical for Buenos Aires night life. I wish I had pics of the place but it resembled an old-school high school gymnasium, with very random art and furnishings. Very bohemian. Very TANGO. The dancers were great! More locals than tourists, and it's fun to see the mix of people dancing and having a blast. I thought about going out there, but I don't know the moves at all and I was just enjoying watching tonight. Stayed till about 2:30am and then headed back to pass out. A great day. Oh yeah, one of the French students decided to come along - guy named Alex. Great vibes - young and on his first journey outside France. This was his first night so I'm fired up to show him a local scene.

All in all a great day. Nothing too crazy but just peaceful and full of art and music. Feeling happy about this journey in Buenos Aires, which is quickly coming to an end (this Sunday).

Most creative McD's ad I've ever seen...

Outside view of the Eduardo Sivori museum - looks like a quant little home

















































I really liked the outside of this building - modern and light filled























REAL is all over Palermo - tags everywhere




This is from a private gallery I stumbled upon while walking in Palermo. The woman who ran the gallery was amazingly nice and she inspired me on my path to becoming a full time artist. THANK YOU, VERONICA!!!






















No comments:

Post a Comment