Sunday, February 2, 2014

Modern Art, Culture, and Seahawks

Woke up today and made two fat egg sandwiches, ripe with egg, tomato, onion, bacon, and cheese. Yes, I was completely gluttonous and I loved every second. Eating my last sandwich and the frenchman came up to say whatsup. I've since found out that his name is Fred (Frederick), which makes him even more amazing - a french guy named Fred. Classic. So we talk for a bit and I tell him I'm heading to the Museum of Modern art, and he says he'd love to join. Cool. Didn't know he had it in him to enjoy some culture, but I was happy to have a buddy for the day so we left the hostel and grabbed the subway and headed to the museum. On our way to the museum we walked through the very touristy area of the city, San Telmo, and there was this amazing mile-long street fair. About two blocks in Fred saw a few other French guys he met in Rio previously, and we all walked and talked for a few blocks. One of this buddies had been to Chicago and had nothing but great things to say about it. I have to say, I get extremely happy and proud when random travelers and foreigners say good things about Chicago. When I lived in SF I always felt like it was a cooler city, but since traveling so far I've found that people really love hearing about Chicago, and it makes me even happier that I now call it home (again). So we are walking a few blocks, me and the three frenchman, and Fred sees some black guys playing drums and looking obviously stoned, so he says he's gonna go ask them for some weed. Perfect. I'm trying to go check out a museum and now I'm on a sidetrack to getting weed from randos in a street fair. I didn't mind actually - kinda found it funny. So Fred walks away for about 15 minutes and comes back with some dirt-weed and a smile on his face. We walk away from the other frenchies and head to the Museum of Modern Art, which I've been wanting to see since I got here in BA. I took some pics below, but in general I really liked the exhibits. They had one floor dedicated to 60's psychedelic art, which was right up my alley, and then they had this incredibly weird video area, with three different short films using amazing animation. Hard to explain the video portion, but it was dark and strange and completely rad. So we walk out of the museum and head over to another outside craft fair which I heard was great. On the way we hear this absolutely amazing percussionist playing an instrument I've never seen or heard before: the Hang. Apparently this was invented in Switzerland in 2000, but wow I'm surprised I have not heard it yet. As you can see in the pics, it looks like a steel drum, but it sounds so eloquent and amazing. I'm trying to upload a video I took, but it's taking a real long time. Hoping it comes out. I took another video of a small jazz band we saw near the other handicraft fair (which sucked), and I think you'll all laugh at that one even more :)

So after the handicraft fair, which sucked, we headed back to the hostel and then over to a bar called Sugar, which was hosting a Super Bowl party. Apparently this is a big ex-pat bar, and they serve up US style wings and have a great atmosphere. We walk in and the place is JAMMED with people. They allow us to grab a few small seats and sit in the middle of one of the rooms, and we end up sitting next to two college kids from Washington State University - perfection. These guys were classic - perfect college kids and fired up about the Super Bowl. As you all know by now, the game was not much of a match, but it was a blast to eat wings and watch with some locals. After the first bar we walked to another bar and had a few drinks before calling it a night. At the last bar I met a girl who has been traveling for 7 months, and she was in Buenos Aires for weeks before going away and now just coming back. She actually said she had a bicycle that she wanted to give away before she left, so tomorrow I'm going to get it from her! YES - I've wanted a bike so now I have one. Thank you so much, Jodi!!! This is gonna change my entire feel of the city.

So that's about it for tonight - I had a really fun day and am now heading to bed. The hostel is a very nice and peaceful place, and I can't tell you how happy I am to call this place home right now. Always very peaceful and relaxing to get back here. I hope the videos upload for you, and please enjoy the pics below of my breakfast, the first art fair, the modern museum, and the last fair (as well as a pic from the bar!).

Have a good night everyone, and I hope you start your Monday off well!!

















































No comments:

Post a Comment