Thursday, April 17, 2014

Abandoned Airfields in Berlin

So I got up and rented a bike and quickly rode over to Tempelhof Airport, which is an abandoned airport not far from my hostel. A few people had told me about this place, which used to be a fully functioning airport until the 70's or 80's when they created a new airport and didn't need it anymore. Eventually they opened it up to the public and now it's a huge open park/recreation area for people. There's even a huge fenced in dog park area too. I can't tell you how fun it was riding this old school bike down the main runway of this abandoned airport - so fun. I took a video and put it on Facebook, so I hope you enjoy that, but also included a bunch of pictures below too. There were guys using kite-boarding kites to drag them along on their skateboards, as well as a few old guys flying kites. I haven't seen old guys fly kites ever in my life. Well, old guys without kids accompanying them. Yeah, I took a few pics, but there were a few of them doing it, and I really got a kick out of it. One guy looked like a heavy metal guy…flying a kite!! Classic. I love Berlin. They even setup this makeshift seating area where people can go and just BBQ and drink and hang out. If I lived here I would be at this airfield ALL THE TIME. So great. I hope you enjoy the pics.

After the airfield I retook my pics of the Soviet Memorial and the East Side Gallery, because of course my computer was too full to accept the first photos, and I of course deleted them. Oh well - it was fun to see it all again, especially because I could do it quickly on the bike. After catching up on pics I rode downtown to this shoe store that I hear about, and I bought a crazy-lightweight pair of Nikes. Can't wait to break them in this spring and summer - will be great to play drums in. Expect many pics with me in them :)

After dropping the bike off I walked to a small little cafe/bar that I always see and bought myself a hefeweizen beer, which is more light colored and sweet to the taste. I had to at least have one beer in a bar/cafe here before I left, even though I'm not a big beer drinker. It was nice - just sitting outside watching the hipsters and freaks walk bye :) After that I came back to the hostel and laid low, and now I'm about to pass out because I have to be up around 6am to catch my flight to Zurich!!! So excited. I'm going to try to do posts the next few days, but I'm going to be with my friend Gaston, who I met at Octoberfest, so I might not have as much alone time to write and post. At the latest I will have something for you on Monday, but more likely before then.

Well that's about it. Germany, and specifically Berlin, has been AMAZING. I'm so so so happy I came here, and I really have to thank my friend Merle who suggested I make it. Thanks Merle - you are a beautiful artist.





My trusty steed :)

















Here's the outdoor space that was setup - tons of seating areas







Heavy metal kite flyer :)


The bike with my new shoes in the back :)

Not sure what this building is, but the top dome has a walkway in it and people were walking all the way up...



Checkpoint Charlie - very popular destination spot for tourists. 

The walkway across the river into my hostel's neighborhood. So beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment