Monday, April 28, 2014

Poetry in Motion

I was taking the train from Nice to Arles today and as I was looking out the window I saw a huge expanse of the Mediterranean Sea, with the surface shining in the sunlight. The top of the water looked very choppy but I couldn't see it moving at all. I kept staring at it and before I knew it I'd taken out my computer and written this poem. It all started with the words "windswept waters", which is what I was mesmerized by…

Windswept Waters

Windswept waters waver not to the naked eye-
Blinded by the volume of the sea.

Seeing altogether but not individual waves-
Goodbye never comes into play.

Swaying currents traveling lifetimes a day-
May I join you for today?

Leaving my watch and guard-
It’s hard to let go.

But as I swim past the present I see the future-
So quickly moving that it stands still.

The lesson learned leaves nothing mistaken-
From afar you pause but in person you race.

A plane slowly drifts by to the naked eye-
While up close it’s speed is that of a ghost.

Perspective drives the cadence of life-
Ensuring you’re grounded to what you believe.

Just remember the slow moving sea from the shore-
Toward more lands will see than you ever more.

And as you look upon the sea so slow-
Remember what took you from womb to the show.

Waterways walk wobbly warriors westward-
Untold folds behold sold old colds.

The many as one move slow as the sea-
While each swims speedily light years away.

And just as the sea moves slow from afar-
So does your life from an unopened jar.

Uncap potential and move like the waves-
Joining your love in the air of these days.

Errors a plenty as healthy as youth-

Teach you that slow is steady as truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment