Friday, April 11, 2014

Pensive Train to Prague

On my last day in Budapest I got up and grabbed a kebab sandwich from a local shop near the hostel. I'm a huge fan of kebab sandwiches, so you'll probably be hearing a lot about me eating them here in Europe :) From there I went to the House of Terror Museum, which is a monument to those who were tortured and killed when the Russians controlled Hungary. It was a very somber museum, but something which I had heard about and I definitely wanted to learn more about. My great grandfather was killed in Russian gulags, so I have a very close tie to this type of terror, and I'm always fascinated by how cruel Stalin and his regime were to peoples all over eastern Europe. It's sad that the US had to work with Stalin during WWII, but he was unfortunately the lesser of two evils. It's unimaginable that Stalin and Hitler were alive and ruling at the same time. Such monsters. Such cruelty. They didn't allow pictures in the museum, but I took a few of the outside and then a few in the lobby. Wish I had more to say on this, but it was very intense and touched me very deeply. After this I took the tram to the main synagogue in the city, which wasn't too far away. I thought I'd be able to walk through but it cost a lot of money so I just took some pics, grabbed my things, and headed to the train station. I took some pics of both train stations, because they are equally beautiful. Wow - such amazing architecture here in Budapest. I loved this city. I was only here for about two days but it very much touched my soul. People were very welcoming and kind to me on the street and in stores and restaurants. I definitely recommend coming here to anyone who's thinking about it. DO IT!! Also, it's very cheap so you can do it on a budget.

So I got on the train and had bought a first class ticket, which meant I had a private room near the front of the train. Perfect. I hate having to rush to grab a seat, so this made my trip much easier. I slept for the first hour or so, but then I got up and saw the most beautiful field of gold. I'm not sure what crop it was, but you'll see the pics below. Absolutely stunning. I'm also reading a book that my friend Maggie gave me, called Many Lives, Many Masters, which is about reincarnation, and it's very much touching my heart as well. Anyone that knows me knows that I have always believed in reincarnation, so this is a perfect book to be reading right now on my spiritual journey. Thanks Maggie - you know me well. I got into Prague about 11pm and got to the hostel without a hitch. Went out and yes, grabbed a kebab before hitting the hay. I'm in a room with two girls - one from NYC and the other from LA, so we might hang today and see the city. Very excited to see this place. It looked BEAUTIFUL at night, so I can only imagine the daytime :)

I hope everyone has a great Friday, and you start the weekend off well.

House of Terror Museum - very chillin and sad 

Inside the House of Terror Museum

Faces of those who Hungary lost
Biggest Synagogue in Budapest



Nyugati Train Station

Keleti Train Station














No comments:

Post a Comment