Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Budapest - GO! GO! GO!

So I got up around 9:30am - jumped a quick shower and was out the door by 10am. I knew this was my only day to be ultra productive here in Budapest so I grabbed a quick ham and cheese sandwich and an OJ at a small shop near the meeting point for the free walking tour, and then I walked over to meet up with the tour. Unfortunately it was VERY windy when we started the tour. There were only a few others joining in, which is always nice. We start out in this smaller square near the Danube river, and then make our way over the Liberty Bridge, which is the first bridge that was built in the city. Historically it was two cities: Buda and Pest. Buda is the name of the ruler who came after Atila the Hun, who ruled that part of the city for many years, and Pest means oven - apparently because there are so many warm water springs on that side of the city. So we walk across the bridge to the Buda side and see the equivalent of their white-house, as well as some more government buildings. While we were there they had a changing of the guards who stand in front of their white house. It's not as elaborate as in England, but it was cool to see them do their little dance with the bayonets and then reposition. After that we walked into the castle district, which is one of the oldest part of the city. So cool. There is a beautiful old church on this side, as well as a monument to the fishermen of the region. Very cool to see this part of the city and hear about the struggles that Budapest has had over the years with maintaining freedom from the Mongolians and then the Germans and Russians. They have only been truly free for the last 25 years or so. Our guide was a very sweet girl who was nervous because it was her second tour, but she did a good job and I gave her a nice tip at the end as thanks. After that I walked up to this statue up on the hillside in Buda which is called the Liberty Statue, which was given to the people of Budapest when the Russians freed them after WWII from the Nazis. Unfortunately the Russians didn't really free them but kept them enslaved in communism for many many years after, so the monument is often times covered in a sheet as a protest. The views from up on the hill were amazinng though - pics below. After this I walked down along the Danube for a bit and then back into the city where I walked into St Stephen's Basilica - an impressive structure with tons of tourists, of course. Good pics below. I was there for a little bit but then walked further along and grabbed some Indian food which looked way too good to pass up. Perfect break. After lunch I walked some more and made it to the Hero's Square, which is a monument located in the east side of the Pest side of the city - in the park called City Park (creative name, eh?). I had heard there were some museums here so I walked into the contemporary art one first and wow did I hit gold. So many innovative and cool images and paintings/sculptures. The pictures below hopefully do them some justice, but I walked out very inspired, not to mention tired. I walked a bit further into the park where there was a natural spring bath house. I'd heard of these before, but they were in Russia or Turkey. Not sure what I expected, but it was a beautiful building and the pool outside was very relaxing. Tons of Italian tourists - very loud and obnoxious, but other than that I had a very relaxing time hanging in the pool for a few hours. After drying off I walked through the park for a bit, enjoyed people playing with their dogs, and then got lost a bit in the city for fun. So many great little parts to this city - I could definitely stay for much longer. I walked all the way back to the river again and then to the main parliament building, which was my favorite part of the city. So beautiful and so majestic. After all this walking my feet were killing me, so I grabbed a quick kebab at a small shop near my hostel and then headed back to lay low and relax. I was really tired but decided I had to go see the river at night, which so many people told me was beautiful, so I just did that and included some pics below. Very beautiful indeed, and a great way to end my day. Now I'm back in my room and there's a Thai guy here who is snoring so loud I can barely think straight. I'm gonna have to wake him up cause he fell asleep with his reading light on, and I'm def gonna have to tell him that he's snoring like a dying horse. No joke. It's absurd. I think he has that disease where he stops breathing every few minutes and then has to catch up on breathing all the time. It's crazy to listen to, and I kinda feel bad for him, but hey I gotta sleep to! I'm going to hit up the House of Terror museum tomorrow morning, which is a museum showing the horrors of the communist regime, and then I'm gonna catch my train to Prague at 3:30pm. Very excited about how well I did here in Budapest, and even more excited to go check out Prague for the next few days!!

Enjoy the pics below and wish me luck on sleeping tonight :)

Tree of locks. I thought it had a deep meaning, but it's basically an ad for a dating website in Budapest! Ha. 



Beginning of our walking tour - me on the Liberty Bridge



Military helicopters kept flying through the city - glad to have caught them here by the bridge.



St Stephen's Basilica

Liberty Bridge and St Stephens


Parliament building from afar

Guards in front of the white house. 

We were there for the changing of the guards - not a huge ceremony but cool nonetheless.

Cool little market up in the castle district.

My free tour guide - she was great!

The guide told us this building was in the middle ages style - rare among buildings that were bombed out and rebuilt.

Matthius Church - amazingly beautiful. 



Can't remember the name of this statue, but apparently students rub the balls of the horse for good luck, so they are the only thing that's completely shiny. Classic. 



Elizabeth bridge - named after the wife of Charles Jozef's wife. 

See the helicopter in the background!

Choppers!

This is the Liberty Statue - up on the hill in the Buda side of Budapest.






St Stephen's Basilica






Heros Square 


Contemporary Art Museum - amazing exhibit I found!!






These instruments were being played by automated toys. Was very cool.



Leggo art!!

Leggo art of the DMZ
















By Yourself :)




Cool photo (huge in size) with a video game controller connected. The screen in the middle says "game over".








Party Carcass




Contemporary Art Museum where I saw all that art - was a great find. 
Szechenyi Bath House - was very eastern european but very cool too.


I chilled in this pool for a few hours. Was a perfect way to end my day. 



Random castle in the park - ok cool. 




Love my park time. Was so peaceful seeing everyone with their dogs. 



I snuck into the Four Seasons and tried to get to their rooftop but I needed a room key to get in, but I noticed this art on the way out. Reminded me of some of the things I've done. 




House of Parliament with a very cool statue in front. 




Beautiful scene to end my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment