Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Budapest - First Hungarian Meal

So I got into Budapest around 5:15pm and after fumbling around the subway system for a few minutes I made it to my hostel (called Sexy Tractor…yep), which is only a few blocks away from the very beautiful parliament building here. I got an amazing download from the girl who checked me in, including a map and directions on everything that I am supposed to do while I'm here. I told her I basically have one full day (Wednesday), so do all of my sight seeing, so I'm getting up early and getting after it. She knew just what to tell me, especially when I told her I was focused on music and art. For dinner my first night she tells me to get classic Hungarian food at a place called Cactus Juice, which is close to the hostel, so I drop my things and head back out to find some classic grub. As I'm walking I smell some amazing Indian food, see a few Thai restaurants, and then I see the Cactus. There are a few stairs that lead down into a cellar-type room, but I decide to walk past it because I see a bustling little area with a ton of restaurants just past this. I walk for another block and then circle back on the other side, only to come face to face with a Hooters. Huh? Really? HAHA. Lovely. I laughed to myself and then headed back to the Cactus. I bet you thought I was gonna say I ate at Hooters, didn't you? Yeah, I thought about it, but not on this first night. I do love me some wings, though. So anyway, I head back to the Cactus Juice and as I walk downstairs it's immediately warm and cozy. Feels like a classic pub, and it's not too busy. I grab table by myself and order a pork dish which the girl at the hostel told me to get - pic below. It was AMAZING. Pork was cooked real slow so it fell apart when I cut into it, and it was on top of this deep fried bread which was a great compliment. There was some very unique coleslaw on it as well, which rounded out a perfect first meal in Budapest. The girl at the hostel said that I have to try this Hungarian liquor called Palinka, so I ordered a shot of that as well. It was funny, when the server came out with the liquor he took a deep breath, then said - take the shot, then breathe out. Ha. Ok, man. So I'm halfway through my amazing meal and I take the shot and wow it burns my throat for sure. Not a bad taste but just overwhelming. Gotta try it though, right? Anyway, I finished up dinner and then headed back to the hostel where I passed out relatively quickly. This hostel isn't the nicest, but it costs me $12 a night and I'm in a four bed room but I'm the only one here. Not a bad deal! I fall asleep but am very anxious to get after it tomorrow and see all of Budapest...


Amazing pork dish for my first meal in Hungary! 



No comments:

Post a Comment