Saturday, April 19, 2014

Swiss Paradise

These are the times I feel like I'm one of the more blessed people in the world. I meet a few guys from Switzerland last September when I'm in Munich, for Octoberfest, and now I'm staying at one of the guy's parents place (his parents are out of town). My friend's name is Gaston, and he couldn't be nicer and more fun. He's about 24 and kinda has a model look to him, but no ego and no attitude - just a nice guy. When we met in Munich I was with my friend's Jimmy and Alissa, and Gaston and Alissa actually hit it off and are now seeing one another every few months (yes, VERY long distance). So I saw Gaston once since Munich, when he was in Chicago in December, but other than that I've met him once in my life. Instant friends - no time needed. Gaston picks me up at the airport and is waiting for me when I walk out of customs, which, to be honest, no one even checked my passport of bags or anything. Definitely surprised at how easy it is to travel between countries here in the EU. So we jump in Gaston's car and drive to his parent's place, which is in Cham - about 25 minutes from the Zurich airport. Gaston's parent's are both out of town for the long weekend, so he is putting me up here. His flat is only five minutes away so it's very convenient, and this way I don't have to sleep on his couch. I've included pics below of Gaston's parents place, but WOW this place is unreal. Gaston's dad is a bit time architect here, which explains everything. So beautiful. I love modern architecture, and it's very modern with a tasteful eye. The views off the huge balcony look onto Lake Zug, which is a smaller lake - about 9 miles across and 3 miles wide. Still - absolutely stunning to look at off the balcony. Sometimes I just have to pinch myself at how lucky I am, really. Part of my luck is definitely a result of my positive attitude, but nonetheless I always take time to be thankful for how lucky I am…and this is one of those times. So I drop my things in the guest room at Gaston's place, we grab beers, and head to the train station which is literally a five minute walk. We take the train about 30 minutes to the town of Lucerne, which is very touristic, but also where Gaston went to college (so he knows it very well). We walk under this very famous Chapel Bridge, called Kappelbrucke - tons of tourists - and then head to this bar called Mr Pickwick Pub, which is on the shore of the lake there. Gaston is HUGE tennis fan, and Roger Federer is Swiss, so we watch his match against a frenchman. Federer wins, of course, and we have a good afternoon just hanging out and talking to randoms in the bar. I met some people from San Diego and Italy. All very nice. It's pouring rain out at this time, so instead of going out to some weak club or bar in Lucerne, we decided to head back to Gaston's parents place and just chill. We order a pizza, which was actually amazing - thin crust Italian style - and then watch a Denzel Washington movie called Man on Fire. Not a bad movie, but not fantastic. It didn't matter, cause the TV room at his parent's place is amazing - pic below. Gaston takes off after the movie and I pass out, as happy as I've ever been in my travels this year.

Today we're going to check out the mountains around his town, Cham, and then probably head into Zurich tonight for dinner and some drinks. Cannot wait. Switzerland reminds me a bit of Austria - so amazingly beautiful and well kept. Everyone I've met seems very nice, and I'm just feeling very blessed and lucky to be here with such a nice host.

I hope everyone has a FANTASTIC Saturday!!!! Get outside if it's nice :)


Gaston's parents place in Cham - unreal...

Nicer than a hostel bedroom with 15 other people :)


Yes I took a bath this morning

View off the balcony!


Another view off the balcony



Day trip to Lucerne for drinks and food. This is the Kapellbrucke - or Chapel Bridge



Yeah - you can drink on the streets in Switzerland too...


Of course we go to an Irish pub in Lucerne

Funny sign in the pub

On our walk home from the train station to Gaston's parents place in Cham

This is apparently a very fancy restaurant

Gaston and his cat Streubely, who is 22 years old!!!

Art in the room I'm staying. Such a good sign to see 14 in there, for my year of travel :)
Perfect TV room for an end to my first day in Switzerland


No comments:

Post a Comment