Sunday, December 21, 2014

Holiday Parties and Job Opportunities

So I've decided to open a Bocce Lounge. Yes, I said that right. I want to open a bar/lounge where there are 4-8 bocce ball courts, a stage for live music, pac-man tables, self-serving beer stations, and daily activities. Initially I wanted to open an art gallery, where I could showcase my art and also play music as well, but during my road trip around the US I kept seeing bars that had games...and they were always packed! This got my mind working, and I thought it would be great to combine my favorite game - Bocce - with all the other things I wanted to include: music and art. So I narrowed my locations to Denver, Philadelphia, and Chicago, but when I was back in Chicago it just made the most sense to start my venture there - my hometown where I have the most connections. There are a few bars in Chicago where you can sit at a table that has its own tap and you can pour your own beers. This style of bar has become more and more popular, and so I definitely want it in my establishment. Even better, I want to have a wall-unit where people can walk up and pour their own beer. I had never seen this done, but I contacted the top company that does this self-serve-tap system, Pour My Beer, and talked to the founder Josh. We immediately hit it off, and I then setup a time with him to meet in person to discuss things further. I met with him the day after my birthday and we dove into my business idea and he really thinks it has legs. No one is using his technology the way I want to, so I'm excited to get it up and running. Even better, Josh mentioned a possibly opportunity to work with him on growing his company. So...I could possibly be working on selling this system to other bars and restaurants while I simultaneously get my bar/lounge up and running. Exciting!! I'm not dead set on working with Josh yet, but I'm very excited about the opportunity so we are going to continue talking. 

Of course I hit up some amazing Christmas parties while I was home. Friends of my parents, Len and Beth Richards, throw an annual party at their home in Old Town, so of course I joined. Luckily my friends the O'Leary's, who I stayed with in Ridgway Colorado a few times, were in town and so it was great to see them at the party. So fun. Pics below. I hit up a few other parties when home, and it was just so nice to see everyone and catch up with such great friends. I'm happy to be in Chicago. It's a great place and more importantly, it's where I'm from. 

A fun Christmas party with Mr Richards and Mr O'Leary

The O'Leary's were in town from Colorado for the week - was GREAT to see them 

No comments:

Post a Comment