Monday, December 22, 2014

Last-Minute Vermont Trip!!

So I was hanging out in Chicago Friday afternoon, getting ready to hit some holiday parties, when my cousin Ashley texted me the below picture. Apparently my godson Jack responded to a school Christmas questionnaire and included me in the last and most important question on the document: "If you could make one wish come true this holiday season, what would it be?". Jack responded very simply: "Roman come". So cute. It kinda broke my heart to read it, so I immediately looked up flights to Vermont to surprise him. Luckily I had enough miles on United for a free one-way flight, however the only day I could fly is Saturday (less than 24 hours from when I got this text). I spoke with Dan, Ashley's husband, and we decided to make it happen. They had a holiday party at their country club, but luckily the airport is only about 10 minutes from the country club, so Dan knew he could make it happen without anyone knowing. So I landed around 5pm and quickly got in Dan's car and we hustled back. Dan had told Addie, his daughter, that he was going to the bathroom, so by the time we got back Ashley, his wife / my cousin, was a bit worried. When she saw me she laughed and was so excited. YES!!! Love doing surprises, and this was a great one. Jack came over and didn't notice me at first, and then he was in too much shock to realize who I was - too cute. Addie loved it and was so happy right away. We danced and laughed and had an absolutely fantastic night!! Such a great way to get out here with family and just enjoy the holidays. 

The next day (Sunday) I went to see Jack's hockey practice, where Dan is an assistant coach, and I loved every second. So cute. Jack scored a bunch of goals in the end-of-practice scrimmage. We rushed home after practice because my sister Rickey and my aunt Jane were about to arrive from NYC. Neither knew I was coming, so Jack, Addie, and I decided to wait out on the street and pretend like we were hitchhiking. It worked amazingly! Rickey was driving my aunt's car, and they noticed us from afar but didn't realize it was me until they got very close. When Rickey saw it was me she stopped the car and jumped out and we had a huge hug. I definitely surprised her :) Feels amazing to put joy in people's lives (not to mention it felt great for me to be around my sister and aunt). We had a great dinner last night and now we are hanging out with the kids and just enjoying family time. So excited to be here. 

My mom arrives late tomorrow night, and I can't wait for her to be in the mix. Going to be a perfect Christmas here in Vermont. I hope everyone is doing well and off to a great holiday week. 

Note that my godson Jack wrote in his class
The country club holiday party that I crashed in Charlotte, Vermont
Addie enjoying the chocolate fountain 
Jack, my godson, doing the fountain right!!
Addie!
Jack LOVES breakdancing. He literally never dances normal to songs. Always on the floor doing breakdance moves





Dan rocking the dance floor like a pro 




My cousin Ashley and her friend Liz - always fun watching the kids on the dance floor





Watching Dan and Jack at hockey practice
My sister Rickey curling Addie's hair
My Aunt Jane playing football with Jack
Jack!!
This morning's view from the hot tub

No comments:

Post a Comment