Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Cusco, Peru

I left Cartagena yesterday (1/7) at 8:30pm and flew to Bogota, Colombia for my first layover. Got there at 10:15pm and didn't take off again until 4:15am…fun. The best part is that I checked my big bag and the attendant at the desk said that I will have to pick up my bag a the next stop - Lima, Peru - go through customs, and then recheck it for the final from from Lima to Cusco, Peru. This worried me because I landed in Lima at 7:15am and then took off again at 9:10am. Seems like a very tight turnaround to deal with baggage claim, customs, checkin, and security, right? None of the agents I spoke with seemed to think much of it, so I let it go. We land in Lima at around 7:30am and I'm rushing to the baggage claim, which is tiny and as I look over to the customs area I notice it's also tiny, with two luggage checking machines and no lines. YES!! This is why no one worried, because Lima is a very small airport. So I get my bag quickly and go through customs and then back through checkin and I'm literally at the gate by 8:15am. I'm already a fan of Peru! The final flight was easy and the views entering into Cusco, which is in the mountains, were beautiful. Although I can easily tell that Peru is much poorer than Cartagena, the people have a very peaceful way about them which I know I'm going to like. Also of note is that they are all very short…definitely shorter than Colombians. Anyway, I'm in a pretty phenomenal hostel called Pariwana, which has a ton of space, including a courtyard, bar, bean bag rooms, computer rooms, and HOT showers. Definitely excited about being here, although I'm only here a night before heading out on the Inca Trail tomorrow morning. I'll be on the trail for 4 days and 3 nights, so I doubt there will be any wireless up there. Either way I'll write up my entries at night and then publish when I'm back. VERY excited to see Machu Picchu in four days!!! Here are some pics from today, though there will be plenty to come. The group which I'm using to hike Machu Picchu included an airport transfer - classic. And for anyone who's jealous of my travels, take a look at how many bunks are in my room tonight :)









No comments:

Post a Comment