Wednesday, January 29, 2014

I See Dead People

Today I got up and grabbed some free breakfast here at the hostel around 9:45am - same as yesterday. Jumped a quick shower and then walked out the door and jumped on the subway towards San Telmo, which is the tourist area where I went around yesterday as well. I was hoping to hit up the Museum of Modern art, which was around that neighborhood. Unfortunately I read the map wrong and aimed at the wrong neighborhood, so I walked around for a bunch and took some great pictures before I figured it out. I stopped by the main orchestra hall in town, which is closed right now (but doing tours). From there I walked into a neighborhood called Recoleta, which I compare to old town in Chicago. It had a lot of classic architecture and nice mid size buildings. I was getting a bit hungry around this time, so I found this small cafe and stopped in there for a bite. It was a great find and I had ravioli and some bruschetta, and the waitress was very nice and we spoke about the city and about Chicago. After eating I walked to the Recoleta Cemetery, which is a major tourist attraction here in Buenos Aires. The graveyard is mostly for the rich and famous, and is full of mausoleums - each more elaborate than the next. The most famous grave is for Evita (Eva Peron), who was the first lady of Argentina in the 1950's, before she died of cancer at the age of 33. She is a very popular figure in Argentina, and she represents women's strength and the strength of the working-class people in the country. Her family lays flowers on her mausoleum every day, and I took some pics which you can see below. I walked around the cemetery for about an hour because there were just so many cool mausoleums, and after that I walked back to the subway and headed to the hostel. It was an amazingly beautiful night tonight, so I sat on the rooftop in the hammock and watched the sun go down (some pics below). Been chilling up here for a few hours now and the guys here told me about a rock show that's going on tonight, so I might check that out. Also there is this amazing steakhouse a block away which I'm gonna try, just not sure if it's gonna be tonight or not. Either way, I will report back with what goes down tonight. Knowing me, I could end up chilling too.






























Evita's Grave

Evita Grave - they put fresh flowers every day




















































No comments:

Post a Comment