Thursday, January 2, 2014

New Years 2014

What can I say? New Years Eve in Cartagena was one of the best decisions of my life. Of course the city was insane and going off at all corners for the holiday, but we managed to find a low key dinner spot near our hotel. As we walk in we see a table open for the three of us (Oliver and his buddy Matt and myself), and right next to us is a nice looking older couple. We find out they are from Manchester and couldn't be nicer, so they pull their table up to us and in the same instance two girls next to them pull their table up as well. The girls were from Germany - a concert pianist and a doctor - classic! We had an amazing dinner with great conversation and lots of laughs, and just before new years we walked to the Old City and climbed up on this 16th century fortress wall and watched 4 separate sets of fireworks going off at the same time - each near an old cathedral. Easily one of the most inspiring and beautiful New Years celebrations I've seen, and the people around us couldn't have been nicer. As we left the wall and walked through the old city we heard a walking band playing in the streets and I almost ran to the sound and started dancing uncontrollably. Now, anyone that has ever seen me at a club or at a concert knows that I have absolutely zero inhibitions, and the people of Cartagena have undoubtedly rarely seen an American move like me :) Both Oliver and I stole the show, with people taking pictures and video of us, along with older women coming to dance with us and get their pictures taken. It was MAGICAL. So much fun and great music with horns and drums and everyone with smiles for miles. After that we walked around and Oliver wanted to check out a gay club so I went with him for support and of course ended up dancing my face off again. At one point we were upstairs in the gay club and Oliver met a cute guy so I took that as my queue to head home and take er easy. The streets were insane and everything was so positive - a great start to my 2014!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment