Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Thank You and Goodnight, Cartagena

You were a great city to start my time in South America, and my year in travels. You quickly dispelled any concerns for safety and you showed me how warm and beautiful your people are to strangers. People react kindly to a nice smile and a nod, and often times I didn't need to speak to make connections with strangers on the street, in shops, or even sitting on their stoops. Kindness transcends language, and I was happy to see the proof of this in Colombia. Of course I realize that there is plenty of danger that can occur in South America, and of course I will always keep my wits about me, but I'm not going to approach new cities with anything but optimism and positivity. Often times what you put out into the world is what comes back to you.

So now I'm sitting in the airport in Bogota, Colombia, in my first of two layovers on my way to Cusco, Peru. Landed around 10pm and don't leave until 4am, so I'm sitting here on free-wifi that the airport provides (why don't all US airports have this?), and I'm surrounded by a group of mid-60-year-old women who just met but are talking about traveling, food, and their families. I guess I'm starting to understand a bit more Spanish :)

I took some videos today and hope you enjoy the views of Cartagena. Also, here are some additional pics I didn't put up previously.




No comments:

Post a Comment