Sunday, January 26, 2014

Music and Art in Cordoba

I decided to take a stroll and get some food after watching some of The Hangover III with girls at the hostel. My friend Nicholas in Salta recommended a few restaurants and I set out for one of the them, called Restaurant Mandarina. No, I didn't even think about the fact that this was an Asian restaurant in South America, but when I got there it was perfect. They had outside seating and it was right along the main path into the center of downtown. Very peaceful. Very nice waiter. I had spring rolls and then a curry chicken dish - both were amazing. It was nice to sit and relax after a day of walking all over this city, and the people watching was great (happy families, dogs, old, young, foreign, local). After dinner I started walking back towards home and before I could get a block away from the restaurant I heard a cello playing in the alley, so I followed my ear and found a cello and classical guitarist playing fantastic music. They were both classically trained and I sat there for about 45 minutes just soaking in their music and the passersby. Music is so good for the soul. Even though I am very far away from my family and my loved ones, I felt very much at home with these two musicians here in Cordoba. There are some pics below. After leaving the musicians I walked to the handicraft market, which was full of life and as vibrant as the night before. I took a picture of the little book-and-wine shop that I mentioned earlier, and then walked through the market and found something amazing for my sister Taty. I had seen it the night before and figured if I saw it again I'd get it…so I was happy to see it was still there when I walked up. After about an hour of walking around the market, I headed back to the hostel and am now about to hit the hay.

Today was a great day - nothing fancy but very peaceful and very happily by myself. It's funny - sometimes when I'm by myself I feel less lonely than when I'm with a bunch of people (either at the hostel or on a hike or anywhere else). When I'm by myself I often get to think about my loved ones, and it makes it seem as though they are closer. And yes, this means you. Good night :)











No comments:

Post a Comment