Friday, June 20, 2014

Ahhhhh Venice

Train was simple - two hours and I'm crossing the sea and entering Venice. I walk out of the train station and immediately it feels right. Canals. Churches. Energy. Beauty. Luckily I set my GPS in my phone to direct me to the AirBnB which Reka booked, so I find it relatively easy. I say relatively because even with GPS I got lost twice. Venice is not an easy city to navigate. I get to the front door and unfortunately no one answers, so I wait and eventually a couple comes walking out - other guests. I ask if the host is there and they say I need to call him. Of course my phone doesn't work, so I ask to use theirs and luckily they are nice enough to let me. The host tells me someone will come let me in a few minutes. Score. Thanks random strangers. A woman named Tony comes up a minute later, dressed head-to-tow in white, with bright blue eyeliner and very short spiky dyed blond hair. She has more piercings in her ears than I've ever seen. I like her right away. She shows me inside and it's a nice place but not too great. I settle into my room as she leaves, and as I open the window I see a canal right below me and a beautiful square just across the canal. A cathedral-looking building on one side of the square houses many of the inventions of Leonardi Da Vinci. People everywhere. And best of all - there is a trio of musicians playing music on the side of the Da Vinci building. They are playing this gypsy jam music - so relaxing and so melodic. I took a video and I will post it today, but the wifi here in the BnB is horrible. I can barely stay online without being kicked off every few minutes. Once I get to a good spot today I'll upload some pics. Rest assured this place is definitely in the top 3 of my favorite places here in Italy. Absolutely stunning. I go out to the square and sit and watch people for a few hours, then come back to the room and nap. Reka shows up around 12:30am because his plane was delayed, but nonetheless it's fantastic to see him. He came straight from his banking job, so he's in a full suit - classic. We have a drink and walk around some of the squares and people watch. Young 20-somethings all around. People playing music. Comedy everywhere. We walk and hang out, and then call it a night around 2am. We get back to the room and end up talking till about 4am. Great to catch up with my good friend. Today we're up and out to explore the city. Going to be an AMAZING DAY!!!!

Make today great - wherever you are :)

Video from when I first opened the BnB window in Venice



No comments:

Post a Comment