Monday, June 16, 2014

Siena, Italy - Meh...

Woke up and the guy who runs the AirBnB at the farmhouse was nice enough to drive me into Siena, which is about 20 minutes away. As we're talking I find out that he's in a band and he loves rock and classic rock. Nice. I pass him No Goodbye's info and he's fired up to check it out. His band's name is Elton Junk - check em out here. He drops me off in the middle of downtown Siena and I store my big backpack at the bus station and then wander about for a while. It's a beautiful city with lots of little streets and old beautiful buildings, but it's overrun with tourists. This part of my journey, starting with Amalfi, has been a real eye-opener in terms of what I do not like when I'm traveling. I don't like overcrowded tourist spots. I would guess most people don't like them either, but after traveling for so long I really don't have the patience for it. So I walk around - grab a few slices of amazing pizza - sit in the main square and people watch for a while. I wander around some streets and get lost. End up in a  square with a beautiful old church, but as I try to enter the people inside tell me I need to buy a ticket. What? This is a church. It's not the Sistine Chapel. It's just a church. I always get annoyed when people try to charge you to enter a "house of God". Would Jesus ever dream of charging someone to enter a church? My guess is no. I wander along and grab some gelato. It starts to rain. I get my bags and jump on a train to Florence. Happy to relax on the train, which is empty. I get to Florence and check into my AirBnB, which kinda sucks. They cater to students so the facilities are kinda lame, but I met a nice kid from Winnipeg who's here working an electrical engineering job for the summer, so we're gonna hang tomorrow. I took a good pic below of me sitting near the main Cathedral here in town having some wine. Everyone I know LOVES Florence, so I've got high expectations. Gonna get out and after it tomorrow - lots of pics to come.

The main square in Siena




Love the bird in this one 













A drink in front of the Florence Cathedral


No comments:

Post a Comment