Sunday, June 22, 2014

Vienna - Full Circle

Reka has to catch a 2pm flight, so he plans to leave around 11. We get up at 10:30am, so we pack up our things and he grabs a water taxi to the airport. He’s cutting it close, but this is nothing new for Reka. It’s a bummer to see him go, but wow what a perfect person to have with me during my last days in Europe. Reka truly is a brother of mine. We will be friends forever. No goodbye. I leave him and then go back to the pizza place that we went to on Friday, and I sit next to a girl who’s by herself and reading. We start talking and she’s an engineer from Australia, but she’s living in Newcastle, England, and her job entails checking bridges to make sure they are built well. Interesting job. She’s leaving Venice later tonight so we agree to kill some time together. She shows me Rialto bridge, which I hadn’t seen the entire trip, so I thank her and then head to the train station in time for my 7.5 hour train to Vienna. Ugh. Not fun, but I gotta do it. There are some amazing views from the train, which gets my mind going. Creativity comes. Words write themselves down on paper. I will include a separate blog post for the poem I wrote. Felt great to be writing again. I’m going to really focus on writing a lot on my road trip this summer in the US. Back to right now though – I’m lucky and happy to see Isabella again, who’s been nice enough to let me stay at her place for the night. It’s nice to bring my European journey full circle, back to where I started a few months ago with my sister Stasha. Crazy to think about all the places I’ve been in these almost-three months. Wow. What a trip. I fly out tomorrow (Monday) at 10am and then I’m back in Chicago by 1:30pm. Incredibly excited to get back and enjoy a week with my friends and just hang out in Chicago when it’s nice weather. Might take a few days off writing when I get home because I need some down time, but I’ll make sure to write a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment