Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Taormina, Sicily - This is more like it…

Today was one of those days I will never forget. Not because I changed the world. Not because I ran a marathon (or did a triathlon, for those that really know me). Today will stay with me forever because I was carefree. I was living in the moment. I was feeling and sensing and appreciating everything around me and I didn't take any of it for granted. This is Sicily, after all. This is one of the places that I've wanted to go for most of my lifetime…AND HERE I AM. Leaving Palermo was definitely the right choice. I woke up today and grabbed some free breakfast from the hostel I'm staying (Gianni House) while overlooking the sea (pic below). After breakfast I grab my backpack and head out the door, only to run into the girl who checked my into the hostel last night (Holly). She had just come back from a walk towards Taormina with a woman who's also staying here at the hostel - Lynette. I'm actually planning to walk to Taormina myself, and so Holly directs me and then wishes me well on my way. Before I leave I ask her about a boat trip that I saw advertised in the hostel, where you can go diving in some caves around the town. She says that the owner, Gianni, wasn't sure about it, but to ask him later. Ironically Gianni walks up at that moment so I try to persuade him to set it up, but he's unsure about the weather so he says check with him tomorrow. He's a classic Italian looking guy - very sweet and soft spoken. I bid everyone farewell and walk on my way. It's a beautiful day! Pics below. I weave through town and see some surfers on the beach, then make my way up a narrow sidewalk that eventually dissolves, leaving me walking on a busy street for a while. Not ideal, but oh well. Eventually I come up to Taormina, and it is absolutely classic. A bit touristy, but very beautiful nonetheless. There are a ton of little churches in town, as well as a big Roman Theater, which I pay to enter. What an amazing location for a theatre! Wow - the Romans really had it figured out. This reminds me of the theatre I saw in Arles, France…and I'm sure I will see even bigger ones in Rome when I'm there in a few weeks. I sit  and enjoy the sunshine and the views, and I marvel at the will it took to build this so many years ago. Hope you enjoy the pictures. In the background of almost every picture you can see Mt Etna in the distance, which is one of the biggest active volcanos in Europe. Check out the smoke coming out of it! After the theatre I stroll back through town and end up stopping at a little pizzeria called Q Loungebar. They have an adorable little outside seating area, and it's set back off the busy street, so its nice and relaxing. I order my first pizza in Italy, and it is FANTASTIC. Pics below. I sit for a long while and then eventually start walking back…stop for ice cream…sit some more and people watch…and then make my way down the hill. I grab some groceries to make pasta for dinner and then as I'm getting closer to the hostel I see Lynette coming towards me. She is heading out on an evening stroll and she's happy that I had a great day. She tells me about a little rocky beach that's just near the hostel, so after I leave her I head to the beach - take my shoes off - and feel the coolness of the sea. After a day of walking all over, the sea feels amazing. I stand and let the waves massage my feet, and I skip stones for a while before just sitting and relaxing. It's a very private beach, which is nice. I might come back here tomorrow, but there were some other beaches which seemed even more remote on the other side of Giardini Naxos, so I might hit them up tomorrow as well. After the beach I head back and take a shower before making some pasta for dinner. Just finished that and am now laying in bed feeling very much at peace. Tomorrow I'm going to try to get out on that boat, but if not I'm just going to enjoy the beach and relax.

Totally forgot! As I was walking through Giardini Naxos, after getting my groceries, I saw a guy doing a wall mural so I stopped and watched. After a while of watching the artist, a younger guy, stopped and came over, and I told him how much I liked his art. He said that the town commissioned him to do this piece, and that he lives in Turin (way up in the north of Italy). His name is Luca Ledda, and you can check out his work here. Very nice guy - and he spoke good English. I found out that the piece he's doing is a mockery of a McDonald's (or any fast food) advertisement, but in this example the main image is that of an overstuffed baby posing as a chicken would look. He's going to write a slogan on the other wall, and I'll go back and get a pic of it for sure. An amazing piece, and a very cool guy. We exchanged information so I hope he checks out my work as well. This whole artwork is ironic and fitting for me because at my last job I was managing all of McDonald's Facebook advertising…something that was not fulfilling my soul. So now to have a guy mocking it…an ARTIST mocking it, was a metaphor for my transition in life right now. I need to pursue my goals as an artist. This much I know. Been thinking about it ever since I started this trip, but little things like this help guide me in that direction as well. Thanks Luca...

Also - I decided that I'm going to stay in a remote village from Thurs-Sun this week. I looked up AirBnB locations for everywhere between the bottom of mainland Italy and Naples, and I found an absolute gem. Check it out here. The owner has been very nice in helping me figure out how to get up there. I decided to rent a car, so I'll pick that up in Taormina on Thursday morning and make the 4 hour drive up to my new home soon after that. Should be an adventure! 

Going to hit the hay here now, but I can't say enough about how perfect today was for me. Those days when you really don't have any worries are really the best days. Sure I thought about my loved ones and about people who I wish were with me, but those thoughts didn't consume me. I was too content just being in the moment. Oh yeah - I wave and smile a lot. I never mentioned this before, but I think it really helps my luck (which has always been good). I notice that people really react well when you smile or just wave. Bike riders. Motorcycle riders. Store owners. Tourists. Waiters. Everyone loves being smiles upon. If I've learned anything on this trip, where language is not always on my side, it's that a big smile and a wave can make or break your experiences. Don't be afraid of what people think. Just smile. Or nod if you want to be more cool. Either way, most people drop their guards when they see someone so full of happiness and joy.

And this is how I ended my walk today - definitely one of my greatest days


Free breakfast (with a view) at the hostel

These poor kittens are growing up near the garbage bins. Still cute but a tough start to life...

Saw them here in the morning and then again when I came home at night. 
My walk this morning - this is Giardini Naxos beach with Taormina in the hills in the background

A lot of surfers out today

My walk up the back streets
The yacht in the lower right was visible from a lot of places in my day. 
Spiderman!!
The view just as I was getting into Taormina. The big smoking mountain on the right is actually Mount Etna - which is an active volcano (the second biggest in Europe). 

Entering the old city portion of Taormina





A fancy hotel/restaurant - had to take this pic of the drum set :)




A lot of small churches up in Taormina - very beautiful



Ancient theatre in Taormina - so amazing






Loving the 360 degree shots on my phone :)
Looking at that volcano never gets old!





This was my lunch spot of the day - very chill - set back off the main street in Taormina
My first pizza in Italy!!

Another view of my lunch spot


Luca from Turin - asked to come to Giardini Naxos to do this mural. So rad. 
My walk home - this is in Giardini Naxos
Hanging at the beach just in front of my hostel

No comments:

Post a Comment