Thursday, May 1, 2014

Back Road Paradise

I'm posting this tonight because I'm getting up early tomorrow and won't be in the mood to write :)

I found the reason for the music in the streets, and it was because an old-timey festival was going on here in the city. I missed the music but got to the main square to see people all dressed up in old-school gear. In all honesty I don't know what it was all about, but I got out of the city pretty quickly because of all the crowds.

My plan was to try to get to the Camargue Nature Park and see the flamingos and other animals, so I plotted the route on my phone and took off on my ultra-wicked-sweet rented mountain bike. The model of the bike was called "diablo", which means "devil" in Spanish - got a kick out of that. Once across the Rhone I got out into more residential neighborhoods, and then as I was going to make a left on this major road (following my GPS) I saw a little sign that said "bike route 3 - 25km / bike route 4 - 40 ". I actually saw the sign when I was going around this roundabout, and so I passed the sign and kept going on the major road. I continued on the road for about a quarter mile before I realized this route was going to take me along the shoulder of a busy road the entire time - NO THANKS. My idea for today was back roads and country roads, so I decided to go back and follow the little bike-route signs and see what happened. Well, to my absolute delight, these bike routes were exactly what I wanted. I rode through the most beautiful French countryside that I could ask for, and the weather was perfect: not too hot and not too cold. I rode through horse pastures, bull pastures, a bunch of farm land, and then a huge expanse of marsh land. So much beauty. I'm sure I was smiling the entire time I was riding, and for a while I was singing. I've got this new song I'm working on, called Urgent Presence, and I was working through the lyrics as I rode. Such a great way to spend my afternoon. I rode and rode, and stopped to take pictures along the way (below). Eventually I got back to a main road, which I followed for a bit and then realized, again, that I didn't want to be doing this. As I was riding I was looking in every direction to see if there were any small roads, as well as looking on my GPS, and I didn't see any. I did notice a big green bridge off in the distance to my right, so I decided to head back that way and check it out. When I looked on my GPS I saw that this bridge led to the town of St Gilles. I had no clue what to expect, but at this point I was getting hungry so I figured I could find a spot to eat. So I get up to this bright green and yellow bridge which crossed the Rhone and brings me into St Gilles, and wow it's amazing - just as I had imagined from the distance (see below pics). As I cross over the bridge and come into St Gilles I see a little pizzeria along this canal that has a bunch of people eating outside, and I'm thinking that looks good, but I'll ride along and see if there's anything else. It took me about two blocks and four-five cafes of Moroccan guys sitting outside smoking and eating to realize why I have never heard of St Gilles. It's not the best of towns. Anyway, I ride through some back streets and then head back to the pizzeria, where I have a pretty damn good pizza and a coke. I head back towards the route I came and find the most amazing little nook to relax and hang out for a bit after lunch. You'll see pictures below, but this was easily one of my favorite places and times of my journey. I feel like I'll always remember it - me sitting with my shoes off, listening to the birds all around me - meditating - writing lyrics - singing. It was an incredibly special moment for me. I stayed there for an hour or more and then started to head back, where I ran into two SUV's of tourists as well as a bunch more bikers than I saw on the way out. Glad I had the place to myself for at least one part of my ride :) I got back into town around 6 - dropped the bike off - grabbed some ice cream - and came home to relax and enjoy the rooftop terrace for my last night. August asked me to join him to have drinks at his friend place, but I'm just too tired right now so I thanked him and am gonna lay low. I've got a 4+ hour trip tomorrow and so I want to get some good sleep and be ready to rock in the morning.

Arles has been a very special and beautiful place for me. As I hope you've seen, the city and the surrounding areas, as well as the people, have fed my soul. I'm definitely in a better place now than I was when I got here…and I was already in a good place then :) Today's country ride was just what I needed before my month in Barcelona. SO EXCITED!!!

Here's my apartment in Barcelona (at least for the first week while I feel it out): https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/657945. Yes…$21 a night :)

I hope everyone had a great first day of May.

The music this morning was due to some old-school festival of sorts. I missed the music but ran into the crowds on my way out of town. Love the costumes! 

Beginning of my bike ride - happened upon this crew :)











My favorite pic of the Rhone River
I actually saw this bridge from far away and wanted to see it up close, so I was so excited to see its beauty as I crossed. 





My lunch spot - Chez Tony!




See the crane? 

Such an amazing place - made me so happy to be riding in it alone. 
Alone except for my bike - El Diablo :)





Spot where I stopped after lunch to meditate, write lyrics, and relax. 



More white horses :)



This bull stared me down for the entire time I stopped to take pics






Found some graffiti on the way back into Arles


And even more (great) graffiti as I got back near my home in Arles

Ah my street here in Arles. Going to miss this place!

If you go left down the street where all the vines are, that's my home here. So beautiful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment