Saturday, May 3, 2014

Barcelona - Starting Right

I got up and gabbed some quick yogurt before saying goodbye to August and heading to the train station in Arles. August has been such a kind and generous host - it'll be hard to beat his setup. I walked through Arles on my way to the train, passing the theatre and the amphitheater, which was my way of saying goodbye to them as well, and then got to the train with plenty of time to spare. The train was an easy affair, and I got into Barcelona Sants around 1:40pm yesterday, Friday. Jumped on the subway, which was incredibly easy to find and figure out, and was at my new host home by about 2:10pm. Not bad. The host is a guy named Nacho and he has a wife and child, but they are gone until the 15th, so it's nice that I'll be here with just him for this week (I only booked until 5/9). Nacho is from Barcelona and couldn't be nicer. The apartment has a good layout with a huge terrace, but it's really not as clean as it appeared in the photos on AirBnb. Oh well. It's only $22 per night, so I really can't complain. I drop my things and head over to my friend Guillem's apartment, which is only a few blocks away (unplanned). Guillem lived in SF when I lived there, and he played music with my close friend and roommate Russ. He's a great guy - very smart - very musically talented. He's living in a very cool penthouse space that used to be an architects office. I don't have my camera now but will upload pics when I get it back from Guillem. He makes lentil salad/soup thing and it tastes amazing. We have a glass of wine and talk and catch up. He's going through a similar career transition period, so we have much in common. Guillem is in a band here in Barcelona, where he's lived for 8 years, and the band has practice because they have a gig at a jazz club this coming Wednesday. I tag along. The drummer said it was ok for me to play his kit before he arrived, so I jam with the bassist and with the guitarist and keyboardist before the drummer arrives. So rad. LOVED being able to play with people again. The drummer comes and they rehears and it's REALLY good jazz/funk/soul music. They let me sit in for a song called Red Baron, and they say I can be a guest drummer at the show on Wednesday!!! YES. So rad. I take some videos of practice - was a great time. After that I head out with Guillem and we hit up a hip hop show downtown. VERY cool Spanish hip hop band. The crowd is loving it. The band is amazing. The MC's are full of energy. Great vibes. I can safely say my first day in Barcelona has been amazing. We grab some pizza and eat it in one of the squares downtown and then take the subway to our respective homes.

Today I got up and walked in Gracia, which is the neighborhood I'm staying. Very cool. Hipster. Lots of stores and this morning I found this market, located in an old warehouse space of sorts. I got a ham and cheese sandwich with fries and a rose wine, and then got some groceries to cook this week. Felt like a real local. So nice to be in such a vibrant and friendly culture. I'm working on my Spanish again, but it's a little rusty :) I'm back at the apartment now and am getting ready to go to a Cinco de Mayo themed BBQ of a friend named Dalia. Actually, Dalia is a friend of my close buddy Michael, from my SF days, but he's put us in contact so I'm excited to meet her and her friends. What a perfectly sunny and gorgeous day too! It's about 70-75 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Gonna be a great one :)

I hope everyone has a fantastic Saturday!!!!

Nacho has a dog named Taco…I can't make this shit up!!
Amazing first meal in Barcelona - thanks Guillem

Me and Guillem

Guillem's apt








Loved these :)





No comments:

Post a Comment