Monday, May 5, 2014

Tourist Day

After a pretty lazy Sunday yesterday I wanted to get up and get after some tourist stuff today, so I made my breakfast and was downtown before lunchtime (early for me, ok:). The number one thing on the list of tourist destinations is the Palace of the Catalan Music, so I took the subway from my apt and got off at the center of downtown - Plaza Catalunya - walked for about 5 minutes and came to the palace. So beautiful. It's carved into this tiny little street but it's so much more beautiful than anything else around it. The main entrance was closed so I walked around back and took some pictures but then went to the box office to see what shows were coming up. The show for tonight, Monday, was a big band jazz ensemble called La Locomotora Negra, and the seats available only cost 20 euro. Not bad. So I said screw it, I bought one for the 7pm show and walked along my way. As I was walking I remember that I had told Guillem we were going to have dinner tonight, so I backtracked and refunded my ticket for a set of two seats next to one another. Texted Guillem and told him we're going to the show, and then I walked back through the Plaza Catalunya and got on one of the jump-on-jump-off city tour buses. I got a two day pass cause there are two routes and a ton of things to see, so I took the "green" route first. I'm sitting outside on the top deck - enjoying the sunshine and the amazing views of the city, including beautiful beaches, museums, and churches. I've included some of the highlights below, but here they are: Basilica of the Sagrada Familia (Gaudi's most famous work), Barceloneta Beach, Hospital de Sant Pau, and Tibidabo Mountain. Now, I was in a very relaxed mood on the bus, so I just stayed on and watched as the sights went bye, which I realize is not really the point of the "jump-on-jump-off" bus, but hey I did it my way. At the end of the route I got off at Tibidabo Mountain, but I didn't go up all the way to the top because I was starting to get hungry, so I walked back to my apt from there (about 25 minutes) - made a pizza - and then walked to Guillem's apartment. We wanted to be at the concert hall by 6:30pm for the 7pm show. Here's a quick link to check out the band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRf5Am3rBzo. They are rad. About 18 people playing together, with a drummer and stand-up bassist rocking out behind everything. So we get to the theatre around 6:40pm and I finally get to see the inside. SO BEAUTIFUL. Bunch of pictures below - hope you enjoy. Our seats were in the upper area, but we still had great views. The band played a bunch of jazz standards and some originals too, and the conductor could not have been more fun to watch. He was dancing around the stage, doing funny moves, hollering when the mood was right, and just having a blast. It reminded me of all the great things I love about making music myself. They played for about an a hour and a half and then they did a few songs for their encore, capping the entire show off with the most amazing rendition of What a Wonderful World, by Louis Armstrong, that I've ever heard. The conductor actually sang for this song, and WOW did he sound EXACTLY like Louis. I mean, it was uncanny, especially because the guy has a Spanish accent. It was very moving. Whenever that song is played I always get emotional, but with this setting and this time in my life, it really touched my heart. I was very close to crying. They would have been happy tears, but nonetheless it was a completely uplifting moment - one I will never forget. Me and Guillem took some pictures afterward and then took the subway home. He was meeting with his bandmates to discuss some details about their show on Wednesday, and so I headed home and am about to go to sleep. Another big day of being a tourist tomorrow :) I figure I will do the sights again tomorrow and then Wednesday and Thursday I will ride the bike to some museums. Not a bad first week ;)

And if there's anything I was reminded of today, it's that there really is so much beauty in the world. Don't ever take it for granted. Life is amazing, and should always be cherished.

Link to What A Wonderful World rendition

Plaza Catalunya - center of town and of  my bus tour ;)
Palau de la Musica - my first stop today :)


Interior of the Palau de la Musica - when I first walked in this morning.


Back in the Plaza Catalunya. 
Cathedral Gothic 
Port Vell 



Sagrada Familia - Gaudi's most famous building (that he never finished) 




Hospital de Sant Pau
Up near Tibidabo…but not all the way

These houses looked AMAZING 
Inside the Palau de la Musica - just before the show I took a bunch of pics







Guillem!!


View from our seats



Loved the caps on and off for the last few songs :) 




I took this without him knowing



Saw these guys in the subway on the way home. Homemade drum set was killer...

No comments:

Post a Comment