Thursday, May 1, 2014

Rhone River Day

Yesterday was another great day here in Arles, albeit not as much focused in the old city. I got up and made an omelette and ate it on the rooftop terrace of the house I'm in - so nice and peaceful. The sun was out but it was a bit windy. I walked out of the house and tried to get a bicycle, but the rental shop was closed, so I walked through the neighborhood around my house and made my way to the Rhone river. My plan was to walk along the river and then make my way to the Arles Antique Museum, which showcases the history of Arles, including a river boat that was found only a few years ago. Walking along the river you really get a sense for how strong the current is, and it makes sense that this location was used as a point of transport for so many goods coming into France. The museum is housed in a very modern blue building, and I love it from the beginning. Once inside I see an amazing history of Arles, with great models of both the theater and the arles amphitheater (pics below). The boat that was pulled from the Rhone a few years ago has it's own room with a video you can watch, and it's absolutely fascinating. The entire boat is in tact, and it was a riverboat used to haul stones…and the stones that were in the boat when it sank are still there! So cool. After the museum I walk out in the sunshine and sit in the beautiful park that's adjacent to the museum. Soak up the sun. Relax. Eat an apple. Start walking along the river again and head back towards the bike shop, which is now open. I rent a modern mountain bike and get on it and start riding. Feels great to be on a bike. I head down through town to Les Alyscamps, which is an ancient burial ground that housed many rich citizens who wanted to go to heaven. Apparently the legend is that a civil servant was beheaded for not signing death warrants for persecuted Christians, and then he was buried in this area, which quickly became a cult location. Apparently anyone buried in this cemetery will immediately go to heaven. The grounds are very peaceful but a bit creepy too. There is a church at the end to the Alyscamps and it's totally empty except for pigeons, whose noises sound like ghosts. I don't spend too much time, and I head out and back on the bike soon thereafter. Oh - the town actually built a canal to go from the Rhone to the Alyscamps, so that the newly deceased were transported in their coffins down this canal to the final resting point, which hopefully brought them to heaven. The canal is still in tact - cool to check out (pics below). I ride out of the monument and try to find some canvasses and paints in a shopping mall nearby, but I couldn't find them so I head back to the city and ride through the streets. Fun riding my bike down little tiny streets, and I eventually ride across the Rhone to get good views of Arles (pics below). I sit and relax for about an hour and as the sun is setting I head back to the house, where I make a nice pasta dinner and relax.

OH! Forgot to mention that when I got the bike I immediately went to the train station to get my ticket to Barcelona for Friday (tomorrow). I leave around 9am and get into Barcelona at 1:30pm. VERY EXCITED!!! I'll be staying in an apartment with a family in the Gracia neighborhood, which I've heard is the best hood in the city. Cannot wait. So today I'm going to get on the bike and ride for a few hours into the national park here - called Camargue Nature Park. Should be a nice last day here in Arles.

Random - just heard what sounded like a band playing and walking through the neighborhood, so I'll first try to go find them. Great sounds!!!

And of course, it's MAY!!! Smile :)

The Rhone!

Like the graffiti in the background
Beautiful building
Loved being able to see what the city of Arles looked like originally
One of the only statues made of Julius Caesar when he was older.


Look at how amazing the theatre used to be! 

Original Amphitheater - such beauty.

Retractable roof...

During the middle ages houses were built inside the amphitheater. 


There used to be a race track in Arles, but it was ruined after the fall of the Roman Empire


The boat that was found only a few years ago in the Rhone. 
Amazing - this boat was used to haul stones, and the actual stones were still in the boat. 


Such great glass work 

This is how they hauled wine from Italy :)
The garden outside the museum






Entrance to Les Alyscamps



Van Gogh wrote a letter to his brother Theo about the Alyscamps

The main church in the Alyscamps


So creepy in here. There were pigeons all over and it sounded like ghosts. 







The Rhone - looking back at Arles



Me and my new bike :) 




Saw this great graffiti on my way home. Apparently August knows this guy - says he's a very kind guy too.
My pasta dinner to close out a great day :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment