Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Day Trip for Dali Museum

I have heard about the Salvador Dali Museum for a few days now, from both Guillem and others that I have been hanging out with in Barcelona. It's located in the town of Figueres, which is about an hour away by the car, or about 1.5 hours away on the train. So I got up at my new apartment yesterday (Tuesday) around 8:30am because the noise here sucks. As I said before, they are doing construction next door so I can't avoid it. Also, the window next to my bed doesn't have blinds, so I'm drenched in sun by 7:30am anyway. Oh well - probably good for getting me up and out in the morning! So I get up it's overcast out - kinda looks like rain coming - and so I decide today is the day for Dali. No time to wait. I check out the trains and it looks like an easy trip, so I shower (surprisingly had hot water), and then grab a croissant and head to the train. Easy enough - an hour and a half later and I'm in the small town of Figueres. Not much going on there other than some tourists going to the Dali museum as well. It's much nicer out here than in Barcelona though, which is a nice change. A ten minute walk and I'm at the museum, which is mobbed with French students and other tourists. Oh well - can't avoid it now. I head in and immediately it's apparent that Dali was really in his own world. The museum has done a great job of showcasing his art in a very cool atmosphere. Hope you like the pics below…I will let them speak for themselves (though I put in some captions too). I'm in the museum for about 2 hours and then head back out into the sunlight, where I walk through town and take some pics before checking the train schedule. A train leaves at 3:49pm, which is in about 15 minutes, or another one leaves in about 45 minutes. Nice. I grab a quick kebab (shocker) and then head back to the train, which is already parked in the station. I get on, dominate my kebab in a matter of minutes, and then the train heads back to the city. For some reason, this train goes a different route back to Barcelona, and I don't end up getting back to the apartment for three hours. Not cool. I was so tired of trains and subways by the time I got home that I just laid on my bed. I checked in with Guillem and he said he was leaving in 15 minutes for his band's practice, so I sucked it up and walked over to join him. Good idea. Their practice was great, and it was nice to be around music again. I recorded some of their practice - check out the clips here: Clip 1, Clip 2. Good smooth jazz at it's finest :) I got home around midnight and passed out soon thereafter. An absolutely perfect day of art and music…and a really long train ride.

I hope everyone had a great night and you're off to a good Wednesday. Today I'm going to work on this song I've written and shared with the guitarist from Guillem's band. He's bringing me to his home studio during his lunch hour, which is the only time he could do it. Very good guy. Can't wait to work on this song and share it with you!

Statue as you walk out into the open courtyard at the Dali museum




Another view of the courtyard
Loves the thickness of paint on this one
Closer look
Sun from the same painting 



This one is called "Soft Self Portrait with Grilled Bacon" This is when I knew I loved Dali more than I ever imagined :)


Portrait of Pablo Picasso





Cool jewelry exhibit in the museum. Dali was so multifaceted. 








Love the frame for this one 
Gold loaf of bread...

Classic


Funny - this picture is what I always imagined when writing the song God Isn't Fun for my band, No Goodbye




Truly amazing
He was a weird dude for sure... 

This installation was amazing - the paintings fitting in perfectly as the eyes. 





Ah the classic soft watches...





Weird phone contraption


This was probably my favorite of the entire museum. It's insane how he turns this picture of this woman into circles in space



The was called Poetry of America - interesting take on what makes the US the US








Not Dali but an interesting take on rocks 



Dali was around for WWII - definitely showed in some of his sketches here







Not Dali but a cool artist 









Outside in the courtyard






This is the figure in the car



Outside shot of the museum



Creepy
Love this one of the TV's all blanked out
Another outside view of the museum - so amazing
Streets around the museum 

The rambla in Figueres 
Love how this image reflects perfectly

Random art in Guillem's band's studio

I have a buddy named JK so this was entertaining to see..

No comments:

Post a Comment