Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Sights, Noah's Ark, and Live Dub Music

The days just keep getting better here in Barcelona. There's only been one day since I got here when I didn't see live music, and it's been amazing for my soul. Yesterday I got up on the earlier side and decided to walk down to a few of Antoni Gaudi's most famous buildings, which aren't that far from the apt. As I walk out of the apartment it's a perfectly sunny but not-to-hot day, and I'm loving the small streets of the neighborhood I'm staying (Gracia). I turn onto the main street of Passieg de Gracia, and see some amazing architecture (pics below) and then I start coming into the high-end shopping district. I'm not really interested in these brands, such as Louis Vuitton and Chanel, but I see a photo gallery and pop in there to see what it's all about. At first the place looks like a purse store, but I walk upstairs to this very cool art gallery space. The photographer showing his work has taken beautiful landscapes and set off colored smoke bombs, which are usually used during wars. It's an interesting juxtaposition, and I dig all the colors and scenes (pics below). I sit for a while and enjoy the art, and then keep making my way down towards the Gaudi buildings. The first one I come upon is Casa Mila, a very cool flowing building that evokes feelings of the waves. Unfortunately the ENTIRE BUILDING is covered because it's being worked on. DOH! I could have still gone in and checked it out, but the line was crazy long so I just kept walking. Next up is Gaudi's Casa Batlo, which is not covered (thankfully) but it's MOBBED with tourists. I just couldn't stand to wait, so I took some pics and then walked to the next jump-on-jump-off bus stop, which was just a block away. I wait for a few minutes, but then decided to walk to Catalunya Square, which is where the buses start their route. Today I'm taking the orange line, which goes to the west of the city, and as I come upon the square I see an obnoxious line waiting for the bus. Fail. I walk BACK to the last stop on the bus route, where I just was, and then get on the next bus that comes - in about 15 minutes. Get a seat in the front of the bus and ride it for about 25 minutes, seeing some great sights (pics below). I jump off at one of the overlook points and take some pictures, and then walk through a park and come upon the Joan Miro museum. Miro is a painter and sculpture, and although I know he was influential and new during his time, I'm just not that interested. Again, another big line for the museum, so I take some pics of outside and then walk through the surrounding gardens. I sit. I eat an orange. My back is killing me during this walk, which sucks, but it happens with me from time to time - lower back. Probably the way I slept or something, but it hurts with every step so I'm glad to sit. Eventually I walk onto the MNAC, which is the Museum of Natural Art - Catalan. I check out what they have in their brochure and decide to pass, but took some great pics of the building and the views of the city from there. Again, tons of tourists. I walk behind the MNAC because I saw this crazy huge futuristic cell tower, so I wanted to see what it was all about. I come upon the Olympic Stadium and the grounds they created for the Olympics, which were here in 1992. Very cool space! I took a bunch of pictures and then decided to sit in this beautiful grassy area with a huge waterfall behind me. A girl playing with her dog nearby. A few couples laughing and having a good time. I was content and enjoying myself. Back still hurting but not as bad anymore. Walking around actually helps. Getting a little hungry now, so I walk back towards the MNAC and down into one of the main squares below, and then jump on the tour bus again, which takes us by the Barca futbol stadium (main soccer team in Barcelona), and then a few more stops before I jump off - walk home - and make some pasta for lunch. I was going to try to go back out after lunch but I'm feeling a bit tired, so I sit and relax on the terrace and then decide to go see the movie Noah. I had seen ads for this and thought it would be cool to see the movie version of a story I've heard since I was a kid. Not the best movie. Acting was good and the effects were great, but the story got a bit too Hollywood for me. Oh well. The movie was in the Port Olimpic area, which was built up during the Olympics as well. Very modern and beautiful seafront area, with tons of restaurants, hotels, and bars. I get out of the movie around 10pm and find a random spot that I can use wifi to text my buddy Guillem, who told me about a dub jam session going on at a bar that night. Dub music is similar to reggae, but a little less vocals and more jams. I am a HUGE fan of this type of music, so I'm thinking it would be cool to check it out. Guillem says he'll be at the club, Barts, in about an hour, so I decide to walk from where I'm at - which will take me about 45 minutes. I walk through the neighborhood of Barceloneta, which is very cool. Small streets and tons of little restaurants. I want to hang here again for sure. Eventually I get to the club, which has a bunch of rastas out front smoking weed - classic. Free entry, but you have to buy a drink inside. I get upstairs and it's not a huge room but wow it was amazing. The opening band was playing, and they all had "Dub Jam" shirts on. They play a few songs, with an amazing vocalist, and then random musicians start getting up and playing different instruments. Fun to see the different songs and different styles of everyone on the instruments. Guillem comes and we listen for a while - he knows a ton of people. About 1:15am I'm getting tired and so I tell him I'm about to leave, but then he gets called on stage so I listen to one more song, this time with Guillem on saxophone!! So cool. What a great end to a fantastic day. Unfortunately the subway isn't working this late, so I decide to walk the entire way home - about 40 minutes. I pass some of the real tourist areas, and deny about 10 prostitutes along the way, and then get home and happily pass out. What an amazing day!!!

Today is Wednesday and I'm just going to hang out here around the apartment. I might go on a bike ride but I'm just enjoying the peace of the apartment, which I have to myself right now. Gonna go make some lunch and then later head to Harlem Jazz Club for Guillem's bands show. I'm really hoping I can sit in for a jam with them. Would be so special. More to come on that tomorrow, but I hope everyone is starting off on a good Wednesday!!!

Seen on my walk in the morning - love the architecture here! 
Again - just a random building I saw and enjoyed
Walked into a random little gallery - LOVED this exhibit. 
The photography used the colored smoke bombs, which are usually used as a warning in war, to highlight the beauty of his photos. Very cool. 










Casa Mila - couldn't believe it was COVERED FOR CONSTRUCTION :(
Luckily Casa Batlo wasn't covered - so cool and ornate.  



Random building I liked on my walk :)
Colombus Statue from afar

Oh hey, Colombus




Jumped off the tour bus for a pic of this view of the city. 
In the garden of the Joan Miro museum, which I never entered.  
Outside the Miro Museum
Miro - not a huge fan but had to take at least a pic of the sculpture outside the entrance. 
Garden walk near the Miro museum





Standing in from of the MNAC - Museum of Natural Art Catalan
Nice butt...

MNAC



Olympic grounds in Barcelona


Not a bad selfie :)



Olympic statue
MNAC from another angle 






Me chilling in the Olympic park area - waterfall running behind me. So chill


Saw this on my walk to the movie

Where the flags of all the countries went during the Olympics. 
This dude played an amazing African instrument during the Dub Jam session

No comments:

Post a Comment