Thursday, September 4, 2014

Albuquerque for a few hours

Andrea has become a close friend of mine, but I was first very close with her husband, Brian - who I went to college with and who I made music with in SF. Andrea and Brian met at medical school, where they graduated 1st and 2nd in their class. Amazing. Even though these two are the smartest couple I know, they are my favorite because they are so kind and gentle with one another (and with everyone they encounter). I respect and appreciate gentleness in people more than any other attribute. I truly think the gentle people in this world are the most valuable. So when I was in Boston visiting Andrea and Brian, I told them I was likely passing through Albuquerque, which is where Andrea grew up. Immediately she told me to get in touch with her parents, because they still live there (in the house that Andrea grew up in). So as I was making my insane journey westward, I got in touch with Joe, Andrea's dad, and he welcomed me into he and his wife's home for the night. I was obviously very tired by the time I got to their house at 9pm, having been on the road since 3am that morning, but I was immediately brought back to life by Joe's energy and good nature. I can see where Andrea gets her kindness. Joe and his wife Cathy are both lawyers, and they have the most beautiful mid-century-modern home. I loved being there. Joe is very interested in my travels, and we talk about his travels, his family, and music. Joe loves blues, and he was very excited to hear that I went to Robert Johnson's grave. We listen to some jazz for a bit and then Cathy comes home from work. Cathy is the only female partner in her law firm, and she is not only incredibly smart and ambitious, but she's kind and very sweet as well. We all sit outside and eat the most fantastic chile that Joe made. Wow. So fresh and fantastic. We talk for a few hours about Andrea and Brian, my travels, their travels, work, and life balance, and then we all pass out around 11pm. I felt so lucky to be welcomed by Joe and Cathy into their home. They didn't know me very well, but they treated me like a son, and for that I will never forget them. 

I get up relatively early and am back on the road, this time driving around 6 hours to Phoenix to see my oldest friend, Phil (who I know call Philbo Baggins). 

Joe and Cathy's beautiful home in Albuquerque. Felt so lucky to be there. 





No comments:

Post a Comment