Sunday, September 21, 2014

Home on the Range

Very happy with the painting I finished for Leah and Justin. Leah actually helped name it ‘Hoar Frost’, because part of my texturing reminded her of that specific type of frost. It’s one of the longest canvases I’ve ever worked with, so I’m happy that it came out the way I wanted. After painting I grabbed lunch downtown with Leah and Justin, and found out that they are awaiting response on their counter-offer for the house I saw with them. It’s beautiful. So fun to be involved and present for such a huge life decision for these two! And since I left Denver I’ve found out that they are actually IN CONTRACT for the house!! Yes!!! So great. SO happy for them. 

I left Denver around 2pm, after going to the art store to grab some canvases to paint while I’m on the road. My GPS was set for an AirBnB in Centennial, Wyoming, which is about 3 hours from Denver. It’s amazing to notice the change in topography as you travel from Colorado to Wyoming. Just as dramatic as going from Arizona to Colorado, but this time the green fields now turned to brown and gold. Absolutely stunning. This drive was definitely one of the most relaxing and pensive I’ve done here in the US. Huge expanses with mountains in the background. Colors of brown and gold with a spattering of red, green, and orange leaves on the trees. I’m in absolute peace…THUD!!! Wait. What just hit my windshield? That was way too big for a bug. It must have been a bird, but nothing splattered on the windshield. I look behind the car but see nothing. Hope the bird, or whatever, is ok. That definitely woke me up. I drive through the tiny mountain town of Centennial, Wyoming around 5:30pm, noticing a few restaurants and a café or two. Cute. Quaint. Small. Classic. About a mile past town I pull off onto this gravel road and after a mile I come up to my home for the night - on a range here in southern Wyoming. Breathtaking. A beautiful log home situated just atop a tree-covered river valley, which at this time is colored yellow, orange, green, and red. I drop my things in the guest home, which is just a shed that has a few beds and adorably well-done decorations and lighting. I feel lucky to have found such a beautiful place to stay for the night. My hosts, Lisa and John, are out on a bike ride, but they told me to feel at home when I arrived. I drop my things and check out their absolutely beautiful log-cabin home. I later find out that John built the home himself – including cutting all the logs for the home. So rad. I then walk down the colorful hillside down to the river. Such peace. Such beauty. I wish everyone could see this place at this time. I sit along the river and just relax in the moment. Water rushing by. Leaves rustling. As I’m sitting I see a little ferret-looking animal running down the side of the river. He doesn’t notice me until he’s about 2 feet from my feet. He stops and stares. We look at one another for about a half minute. I tried to take my camera out but he got scared and then swam down the river past me. It was a great moment, but from now on I won't try to take pics in situations like that.

I walk back to the house and then Lisa and John come home. They are fantastic people. Definitely hippie. Definitely outdoorsy. Definitely great. I feel completely welcome in their home and their presence, and we talk about travels, family, love, life, and the west. John and Lisa have two children, both of whom are fantastic skiers. Their daughter is actually on the US ski team! Their son skis for University of Denver. We go to dinner in town at a very cool local joint. Of course my hosts know everyone in the restaurant. Good vibes. We eat and then head back to the house where everyone passes out for the night. Completely content. Feeling lucky. 

I wake up the next morning and have a fantastic muffin on the deck of the main house with Lisa and John. They have a dog named Lark who is full of energy (possibly part dingo), so we throw the ball for her a bit while talking more about travels and family. I can’t say enough about how great it was to speak with these two people. They were kind and considerate, and most importantly – they were genuinely interested in what I had to say. On my way out of town I stopped at the Medicine Bow Visitors Center where Lisa works. It was nice to see her in her work space, and I learned a bit about the land I was driving through – always a plus. Feeling invigorated and full of life, I drive through some of the most beautiful mountains as I make my way to Jackson, Wyoming, and Grand Teton National Park…








My room in the "playhouse" on the range 
The playhouse...
View from the main house deck - the river is just below in the woods there 




Down at the creek

Seen on my walk up from the creek

No comments:

Post a Comment