Thursday, September 4, 2014

Phoenix with Philbo Baggins

Phil is my oldest and dearest friend. We've known one another since we were about 3 years old, mostly because our houses were just a few doors down from one another. Also, our mother's became very close so we naturally followed suite. Phil was born very premature, and he actually had a twin brother Daniel as well. Daniel didn't make it through to birth, and Phil subsequently had many complications in the first few years of his life. I remember that he was always in the hospital for one thing or another. I've always had a huge respect for Phil because he went through more than anyone I knew, especially at such a young age. He is kind, generous, respectful, gentle, and most of all, a total goofball. We laugh for hours, and we always find new things to laugh about. As kids we used to listen to Eddie Money on the radio while playing Lego's for hours on end. These are some of my earliest memories, and we always laugh about how we always built aircraft carriers (which were then taken apart when my room was cleaned). Phil has been living in the Phoenix area for over 10 years, and although he has enjoyed some of his time here, I think he's ready for a move. Currently Phil teaches yoga and is a licensed massage therapist - both perfect professions for my friend. Oh! At some point in the last 10 years, Phil started calling himself Philbo Baggins, which I immediately loved. Similar to Bilbo Baggins, from The Hobbit, Phil is a quirky guy with lots of love and a great big heart. It's a fitting nickname, even if he did give it to himself ;) We hang out and talk for a long time about Phil's readiness to move, his career, his loves, and his music and art. He's become a very good mandolin player, and recently he's taken up painting, which is coming along great as well. I'm excited to see where he goes with the art, because I could see it getting very good very quickly. So we hang at his place and I set my drums and PA up so we can jam out. So fun. I have some videos I posted, which you can check out here. Great times - very goofy but very great. I cherish my time with Phil. It's important to keep old friends near to you, because they always remind you of where you are from - they keep you centered. Phil always has great advice for me, and he reminds me to stay focused on myself during this year. Always a pleasure. Always a great time. Thanks Philbo. I already miss you.

Video Clips:

Me and Phil - playing tough guys...
Then in our more real style :)
Just before jamming in Phil's kitchen
Phil displaying some of his art

No comments:

Post a Comment