Monday, September 8, 2014

Ridgway Colorado - Heavenly

My dad had a friend who used to join him in coming to some of my high school football games. They knew each other from working in Chicago, and they both lived in the same suburb of downtown - Hinsdale. My dad's friend's name is Pat, and his wife's name is Marty. I knew Pat and Marty very little when I was younger, but I was always happy to see them. They are always laughing. Always having fun. Always ready to listen and give you their full attention. When I was in Chicago for the last three years, I ran into these two at a holiday party, and it was nice to reconnect. Pat told me that they had moved out to Ridgway, Colorado, which is very near to Telluride - a very popular tourist spot. Ironically I had a wedding the following year in Telluride, so I added some extra days on my trip and spent a few nights with Pat and Marty. What a treat. They have one of the most beautiful homes I have ever seen, and the town of Ridgway is absolutely adorable. A mountain town with a cowboy feel - Ridgway is the prototypical western town. My first visit to Pat and Marty's place was a year ago, so when I planned my US road trip I could not miss coming through again. After I left Micah and Jen's home in Phoenix, I drove 8 hours up to Ridgway, Colorado. I stopped on the way at a tiny mountain town bar for a sandwich (good pics below), and then made it up to Ridgway around 5:30pm. Pat was at a meeting but Marty was home, and we had some appetizers on the deck and just enjoyed the beautiful weather. After a few hours Marty came home and we all had a fantastic BBQ dinner. Conversation surrounded my travels, my future goals, and all-and-everything that's been going on with Pat and Marty. It was a great night. Lots of laughs and just a nice relaxing time. The next morning I got up and  headed downtown for brunch with Pat and his daughter Katie. Pat and Marty have two children, Katie and Alex, both whom they adopted. I always have so much respect for people who adopt children. Without happy homes, these children would have had a very tough life. Lunch was fun, and it was great to hear from Katie and her work at the local animal shelter. After lunch Pat and I went golfing at a course right near his home. Wow. What a beautiful day. The pictures below should give you a good idea of how it looked, but of course pictures never do the real justice. We didn't play very well, but we made up for it by having a blast. After golf we headed back downtown to meet Marty for a delicious pizza dinner at a place called Colorado Boy. Even better, the waitress who served us was from Chicago! She talked very highly of the pizza, so I got one for myself and it was a nice reminder of home. Marty and Pat introduced me to some of their friends who were at the bar, and then Pat, Marty, and I headed back to the house. Marty hit the hay and Pat and I jumped in the hot tub. I really value my time with Pat, and we discussed my travels, love, future endeavors, and living in the west. I'm really considering living out in Colorado, so this was a perfect introduction to my visit here. The stars are so clear in Ridgway, and the last night was spent checking out the stars and relaxing with my good friend. The next morning I get up and after a great breakfast prepared by Pat, we go on a little run with his dogs before I head back out on the road.

It's hard to express how grateful I am for my time with Pat and Marty. They are inspiring, loving, caring, considerate, and above all - real. I'm hoping to get back down to Ridgway, but it might be tough considering how much I have to see in Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho before the end of September. Regardless I know I will be back to visit my good friends at some point, but for now I will take with me all the love they bestowed upon me.

View from my lunch spot on the way up to Ridgway from Phoenix. 
I had to pull over on the road on my way to Ridgway - it was just too beautiful to pass up
Sitting on the deck
This little bee definitely liked me. He flew around me for a bit and then sat on my arm and then on my shoe for a while...



Another view from the deck
Happy dogs!
An absolutely unbelievable day for golf 
Pat - an inspiration and a great man. 

One of the hardest putts of the day


It looks like a tough spot, but he got out of this like a PRO!


Salad before a great pizza dinner
Fantastic pizza - made from a Chicagoan!!

Breakfast before I left...

I love the celtic infinity symbol on the gates...

No comments:

Post a Comment