Monday, September 22, 2014

Peyton Manning's Golf Course

So I ended up playing golf with Adrienne, who is a childhood friend of my Chicago-friend Becca. Adrienne lives here in Jackson Hole, and her friend LB works at a golf course called Snake River, which is part of a larger sporting club that offers everything from real estate to white water rafting. This course was easily one of the best I've ever played in my life. LB later tells me that there are only about 165 members in the club - one of which is Peyton Manning. Wow. I felt so lucky at this chance to play on this course, which is usually only reserved for members. Unfortunately we only played about 8 holes when it got too dark and started raining on us. Adrienne and I then took LB to dinner as a thank you for letting us play the course. Over dinner I learned more about LB, and we somehow made the connection that we were both at Camp Dudley during the summer of 2000. After graduating college I decided to work at a summer camp, which ended up being one of the best decisions of my life. Dudley is the oldest all-boys summer camp in the country, and they have amazing traditions and a great spiritual message. It was good for me to help lead kids during my transition from college to my professional life, and it definitely laid a foundation for my life in SF. Comically enough, LB was there as a camper when I was a leader, so we laughed a bunch about the camp traditions. It always surprises me how small the world becomes. Here I am traveling the US and I'm randomly put in contact with a friend-of-a-friend who then knows another guy who worked at this camp with me. Classic. I love this stuff. We had a great dinner and then Adrienne offered to let me stay at her parent's home because it was raining. This is especially fantastic because it was now pouring rain, and my tent was still out at my campsite. Adrienne drove out with me and helped me gather the tent into my car, and then we drove a few minutes away to her parents house. Wow - this house is unreal. She has a roommate staying with her, but luckily the house has another spare room which I could use. As I was getting into bed I truly felt like one of the luckiest people. Not only did I get to play an amazing golf course, but now I was saved from sleeping out in the pouring cold rain. Adrienne is off to work today so I'm here at the house. It's very overcast and rainy today, so I'm going to go on a drive into the Grand Teton National Park to check it out, but I might not do a bike ride or hike like I had planned. Going to stay here again tonight and then, most likely, head up to Yellowstone tomorrow. 

Downtown Jackson Hole, Wyoming

It was a bit overcast so I didn't take many pics, but this give a sense of the course
Babbs took this pic of my riding my bike and sent it to me. Definitely captures the moment :)

No comments:

Post a Comment