Thursday, August 7, 2014

Annapolis, MD - Family Time

I guess this is a constant theme in my recent travels, but I love spending time with families. It's so amazing to be around kids and see how they interact with one another, as well as with the parents. I'm taking notes for sure, but mostly I'm just having a blast and enjoying my time. I got to Annapolis, MD (or more specifically, Kent Island, MD) around 4:30pm on Tuesday. I'm here to visit my dear friend Bernie (Vern). I met Vern in college our freshman year, and we've been extremely close ever since. We both played football at Princeton, though admittedly Vern is much better than me. He was one of the first freshman in Princeton history to start as a freshman on the varsity squad. Obviously he's a tough character, but underneath all of that is the most caring and considerate man I know. Since college Vern has married an amazing woman named Keely, and they now have three beautiful kids: Leah (5.5 yrs old), and twins Tommy and Claire (3.5 yrs old). They live in a beautiful neighborhood just outside of Annapolis called Kent Island. I arrive and the twins are taking a nap, but I hang with Leah, Keely and Vern for a bit before me and Vern head out back to hang out and just talk. We are both very introspective people, so it's good to hear one another's opinion on ourselves, as well as have a respected outside opinion given back as well. Vern is hoping to make some big career changes, so I try to help him think it through. Most importantly, I just want him to stay positive and keep faith that great things will happen for him soon. I know they will. I think he knows they will, but it's been a long time coming, so it's hard for him not to get frustrated. Vern deserves great things. The twins get up and we all laugh and have a great time before heading to their local pool for a dip. So fun. After the pool we head back to the house for some homemade guacamole and quesadillas made by Vern. Never knew he could cook, but I'm pleasantly surprised. The next day (Wednesday) we all get up and go kayaking in the Chesapeake Bay, which was HILARIOUS. Each adult had one kid on their kayak, and I had Leah with me. She's so funny - always wants to go faster and see more things. This kid is gonna do some cool things in her lifetime. After kayaking we grab some pizza from their local dive, and then we head back to the house for nap time. I paint with Leah while the little ones nap. I made her a painting and I'll take a pic of it tonight to put on the blog, but it was just fun hanging with Leah and seeing her excitement for painting as well. After nap time we all head to this restaurant and beach on the Chesapeake Bay, and we watch the sunset as the kids play in the Bay. What a scene! Unreal. I included some great pics from the sunset on the previous blog post, but of course they never do it true justice. We all pass out relatively early, and now I'm up on Thursday and hanging out in Vern's office. We are going golfing in a few minutes and then we're going to meet the family for a kids concert in some park nearby. FUN. The band is called Milk Shake - no clue what to expect but it'll def be hilarious. I'm staying here until Sat or Sun, so I will get some updates out before I leave. Rest assured I'm in a very happy place with one of my best friends on this earth. 

I hope everyone is having good week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment