Saturday, August 16, 2014

My Cousin Scott

Scott is a legend. I had heard years of stories about him before I ever met him. My mother has four sisters, and her oldest sister married a man who already had three kids. One of those kids is now a grown up and his name is Scott. So technically we are cousins, but we don't share any blood. Scott grew up in and around NYC, and he's made a killing in the banking world. Always modest. Always confident. And above all, always up to have a good time. Scott can talk to anyone anywhere and he will have everyone laughing within minutes. He's definitely one of the funniest people I know. We've only seen each other about 5 times in our entire lives, but each time we have bonded like brothers. Scott got married when he was around 43, and I always love hearing that he's glad he waited. He's found a fantastic wife and now has four adorable little girls. I woke up on Tuesday and had a great visit with the girls and his wife, Melanie, while Scott was at work. So much fun getting to know Mel and the kids, who range in age from 5.5 years down to 11 months. Too cute. Funny seeing the dynamic of a 4-girl household. Insanity. Scott comes home after work and starts making dinner, which includes grilled cauliflower, spanish rice, and the most amazing grilled chicken. Scott and I hang out by the barbecue and talk at length about my travels, and about his lifestyle these days. He relays the fact that he wouldn't trade having four girls for anything in the world. He lived many years of traveling and having a blast, but being a father is the highlight of his life thus far. Living in NC vs NYC has also afforded him the ability to have a great home for his four daughters to grow into. It's fantastic. I didn't take many pictures because I was just enjoying my time there, but rest assured his home, and the surrounding area, is absolutely beautiful. Melanie's sister Ashley is over helping out with the kids, and she joins us for the feast. So much fun. The kids running around making noise everywhere. The two dogs hanging around the table looking for scraps. The food is absolutely dynamite. Scott's obviously cooked this meal a million times, and it's nice to have such a well done home-cooked meal. After the kids fall asleep, Scott, Ashely, and I go to the patio area to hang out and talk. Most of the conversation surrounds travel and taking chances in life, but also having faith in knowing everything is going to work out for the best. What a great night. Surrounded by fantastic, positive, and optimistic people is always good for me. Towards the end of the night Ashley heads home, and Scott and I discuss the reason that we are as close as we are, especially considering the minimal time we've spent together. My mother has another sister who married a hilarious and great man named Patrick, though sadly he died when he was only 57. Patrick lived in NYC for many years, and both Scott and I became close to him over our lifetimes. Patrick is truly our link. We both looked up to this man, and were both a bit broken when he left this world so young. Patrick's daughter, my cousin Ashley, is who I stayed with in Vermont, and his grandson is my godson Jack. Hope this all makes sense. Anyway, Scott and I talked at length about Patrick, and how much of a great man he was. A great dad. A great husband. And yes, a great time. Always laughing and enjoying the moment, Patrick was (and is) an inspiration to my life. It's nice to discuss my uncle with someone who loved him equally, if not more. People come into our lives for a reason, and I'm glad I was able to know and be in Patrick's life. Scott offers some sage advice about life and following your passion, and we end the night laughing and enjoying our time. 

Scott's mom comes to visit him on Thursday, so I head out on Wednesday to let his wife Melanie setup the guest house. It was a short visit, but very valuable for me on this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment