Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Under A Stump (poem)

When I was on the golf course in Kent Island, MD with Vern, we saw a bunch of trees uprooted. There was serious beauty in these fallen trees, and the words "under a stump" grew into this poem...


Under a stump
I felt a lump
In my throat

Emotions so strong
They felled this tree

So big they came without warning
Without warring
Without a care
They dripped across my hair
Drops softly skidding each cheek
And through them these words came

Although firmly I stand my ground, the stump lays unearthed
So focused on meeting me that it decided to introduce every branch to the earth
And now breathing fresh air for the first time
The roots speak slowly and consciously
Outlining years of travel through the earth
Searching soil sources safely secure for the tree to grow
Focused and fierce for years
Knowing the needs and kneading the ground

And then something changed

The seasons came and then they left
Leaves blowing away and seeds growing anew
And the roots decided they wanted to feel the sun
Shining bright and bold and beautiful
Warming every layer of life
So without knowing they ended the game
Uprooting and blindly swallowing the sun
While the rest of the tree said goodnight
Forever felled falling soundly asleep

And now we stand sideways straight
Roots facing me for this final discussion
The percussion of my heart calling out

And then it comes
A calm so peaceful it startles the sky
Words without sounds
Time without toc
And together we drift
Under a stump

1 comment:

  1. Also hard to read without getting emotional. This is absolutely lovely my brother.

    ReplyDelete